Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Is this a Possible Anonymous Checkout/ Duplicate Email Address work around?

jwallwork is offline Member

Default Is this a Possible Anonymous Checkout/ Duplicate Email Address work around?

We have a client who wants to allow anonymous checkout, but not the duplicate email address. He doesn't want customers to get the "Already Existing Account" message and be locked out. Also there is limited budget for an implementation.

After much thinking and examining of the source code, I think I may have come up with an approach.

Create a SQL Server Batch job to update the Customer Tables email address with a
    bogus address for customers created with anonymous orders.

Declare @CustomerCnt Integer

select @CustomerCnt= count(*) from orders o
    inner join Customer c on o.CustomerID=c.CustomerID
    where c.IsRegistered=0 and patindex('%bogus123456789.com%',c.email)=0
    and isnull(c.FirstName,'')='' and isnull(c.LastName,'')=''

if ISNULL( @CustomerCnt,0)>0
    begin
    update Customer set Email= convert(varchar(100),c.customerid)+'@bogus12345678 9.com'
    from customer c
    inner join Orders o on o.CustomerID=c.CustomerID
    where c.IsRegistered=0 and patindex('%bogus123456789.com%',c.email)=0
    and isnull(c.FirstName,'')='' and isnull(c.LastName,'')=''
    end

The batch job could be set to run periodically (say once every 5 minutes). Does anyone know any downsides to this approach? I know during the interval between updates, a shopper can get the "Already Existing Account" message and that the Order->Admin->Change Email function updates the Customer and Order records.

Thanks,

John

Rob is offline Senior Member

Your requirements are conflicting. Anonymous means just that...so we do NOT enforce email identity...so i'm not quite sure how to help yet. I understand the request, but not quite sure what to recommend (yet). E.G. what are you trying to accomplish? (grouping accounts? orders? others? by "anonymous" email address?)

it may be doable yes...but I really need to know more about the site requirements.
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

will doing this blow up anything? The client want's to allow repeat anonymous users without allowing duplicate emails (and the account confusion it can create). They do not care about searching for anonymous customers in the "Customer" area.
    Last edited by jwallwork; 04-15-2010 at 09:14 AM.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

I can't think of that this will 'blow anything up'. You'll have to make sure that you leave the original email address intact on the order record so that email notifications can be sent (shipped, resend receipt, etc) but that won't interfere with customer orders in the future. You're also going to make account/order management more difficult, and I would hate to have to explain to a CC company or auditor that "the customer really did place that order, we just added the random information later" in the event of a chargeback or any other legal action.

Good to know. All order processing, including the Credit Card processing, is going to occur in an ERP backend via web services. The order information in storefront is not going to be modified. From examining the database, the customer record for an anonymous customer is essentially blank which doesn't provide any real information to an auditor.
    Last edited by jwallwork; 04-15-2010 at 09:58 AM.