Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Working on Vers. 9 Templates in Visual Studio

cksite is offline Senior Member

Default Working on Vers. 9 Templates in Visual Studio

We weren't able to install .NET Framework on our XP pro machine, so we can't install ASPDNSF locally as a dev environment to prepare to upgrade out live site from vers 8 to vers 9.
    We only need to work on a copy of the vers. 9 default skin_1 (copied to skin_2 folders) to make the changes we need to match our version 8 skin_1 that is live.
    So here's the question: Is it possible to see and work on that template.master page in Visual Studio 8 without having installed ASPDNSF vers 9 as a working site locally?

We tried the various "Open" options with no success.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

You're not going to be able to do much work on .NET files without the .NET platform and IIS installed, no. You could use a simple text editor, but to use Visual Studio for the formatting, Intellisense, etc you're going to need a dev machine that has all the required components installed.

akeller is offline Member

I hate to post on a 4 week old thread but I just downloaded the ML 9.0.1.3 with full source (VB) and I am determined to get a dev machine running so I can alter and debug the aspx and aspx.vb files. I can compile the dlls just fine, but I get all these errors when opening a .aspx file and trying to view it in design mode etc.

I can't seem to find anything about setting up this environment. I have VS2008 and MS SQL Manager 2008 on my machine. What is the process for getting the code to build and run locally like any normal web app? Do I HAVE to have IIS installed on my local machine? Do I need the DB on my local machine too or can I link it to our staging database on the server.

Also is there a way to do this on the web server? We have our web server setup to run the live site with it's DB as well as another "Staging" site with it's own db for testing. Can I setup Visual Studios to debug from that server instead of locally?

Any information would be helpful. If I missed a KB article or something that has this please let me know.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

You need to have IIS installed on the machine to run the software, yes, even in Visual Studio. The DB can be on another machine as long as it is accessible with the information in your DBConn line in the web.config.

You're not going to be able to view a lot of the front end pages in design mode, most of their content is generated through codebehind logic, controls, etc so the app has to actually be running to view them.