Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: problem with sub categories

duke is offline Junior Member

Default problem with sub categories

Dear All,

I have problem with sub categories. i got error as "The page isn't redirecting properly". it because the page was directed to current address (never ending redirecting). can any one help me please?

thanks

George the Great is offline Senior Member

Can you paste in the entire stacktrace/message here? Not aware of anything by default that would cause this. Have you made any modifications to page logic for redirecting, or attempted to modify url rewrite rules? Where are you clicking on the sub category links when this occurs (eg. from a category page, from the menu, from some custom list, etc...)?
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

Sharpleaf is offline Junior Member

I am having the same problem (I think)
    The error happens when I click on certain sub categories in either the generated category list or the sub categories that appear in the "page content" area after clicking on a main category.

In firefox I get, "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."

In Internet explorer the page just never loads.

Some of the main categories do this too.

I realize my statements above are rather jumbled, but it's an odd problem that is hard for me to explain. And I think it's the same problem that the original poster is having.

Which versions are being run on here? Are you using SSL? Is your LiveServer appconfig set correctly? Are there custom xmlpackages involved? This seriously may be something to send into support...would help to get an overview of the site configuration and setup.

duke is offline Junior Member

Default the page error doesn't leave any stacktrace

it's happen either on my local site and development site. I don't use SSL.

I don't do any customization on page redirecting.

unfortunately, the page error doesn't leave any stacktrace. The page error can be solved if I reset the cache.

What presumption might be possible between resetting cache and page directing?
    Last edited by duke; 03-25-2010 at 07:48 PM.

I've noticed something about this error. (Or at least the error I've been getting which I assume is the same one as the original poster)

The text that you click on( for one of my links that errors out )is "Belt Blanks-Plain (with snaps)"
    When you click on it, the browser tries to take you to "c-21-belt-blanks-plain-with-snaps.aspx"

That makes the server redirect the request in a way that will never complete.

However, if I change the URL to "c-21-belt-blanks-plain-(with-snaps).aspx" (with parentheses like in the click-able text) it works. Considering I have NO IDEA how ADNSF generates the URLs, I don't really know where to look to try and solve the problem.

It's AspDotNetStoreFront Version 9.0.1.2
    No modified XML Packages

unfortunately I don't know if you'll ever read this, but I found the problem. It lies with the url that gets generated. It's only inversion 9.

Here's what I did to solve the problem.

Go to you database and open the category table. In there is a column named "SEName"

If there are any of these characters (),/\;:'"& and possibly others, then those links will break. Take out/replace those characters and (if you are having the same problem as I did) it should work.

Hope this helps!!
    Last edited by George the Great; 04-02-2010 at 12:43 PM.

The application by default will never write special characters to that field...all special characters are removed and the spaces are replaced with dashes. We even have a method built into the store wide maintenance (Configuration -> Maintenance -> Store Wide Maintenance -> Click the Submit button next to Reset All product SENames) to reset all senames for products (you should make a backup of the database before doing this). Were these added directly through sql management studio or some other manner outside of the AspDotNetStorefront admin? At any rate, fantastic that you were able to track down your issue

Well yes and no

I was upgrading a site from version 8 to version 9 when this happened.
    The database had the special characters in the SENames field and ran just fine in version 8. Once I upgraded to version 9 and followed all the steps to do so, it stopped working...

The original data was there before I got there, so I don't know how it was added and why the special characters existed. I didn't know about the store maintenance option so I manually deleted the special characters within SQL managements studio.

It was a tough little bugger to figure out. I went though all of the links and systematically wrote down all of the ones that didn't work. After I had done this, I was looking at them all and I noticed a pattern: They all had special characters.

This prompted me to poke around in the database until i noticed that the name of the category appeared in three separate columns in the category table. I chose a random category and added an "A" to the first column where I saw it's name, a "B" in the second one, and a "C" in the third one (the SENames). I then open the browser and clicked on that category and saw an additional "C" in the URL. So, I played with the SENames column on a category that didn't work and took out the special characters and Presto! It worked

Thanks for your help! I'll be a real web developer some day!

BenJ is offline Junior Member

I encountered this error after we did a database push to our staging server. All our SENames appeared to look valid. After scratching our heads for an hour we decided to reset the cache in the admin console, and this resolved the problem. Just giving another solution in case somebody comes across this post and your SENames appear to be fine.

Regards,
    Ben