Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Best way to blog in 9?

KellyB is offline Junior Member

Default Best way to blog in 9?

Any suggestions on the best way to set up a blog in ver. 9? I read a post where some were using BlogEngine with previous versions, and I think you could also set up a blog using asp.net rss toolkit or something similar, and I'm also wondering if you could use Topic pages and the rss.xml code that was in the SF...I need it to contribute to SEO, so that's a consideration, too.

mbertulli is offline Senior Member

One of the really nice things with BlogEngine.NET is you get to run without the need for subdomains. So your blog would sit at www.mydomain.com/blog.aspx, rather than blog.mydomain.com (wordpress or some other non-aspnet system). This answers your need to have it contribute to SEO for the primary domain.

Also, using BlogEngine.NET will get you native RSS, ping services, commenting support and other features without having to code em up yourself.
    Matthew Bertulli
    Demac Media
    mbertulli@demacmedia.com
    Custom Web Design & E-Commerce Development
    AspDotNetStoreFront Platinum DevNet Partner
    ----

Custom Skinning & Design
    Web Services Integration
    Custom Reporting
    Salesforce.com eCommerce AspDotNetStoreFront Integration

supergriff is offline Senior Member

Is it possible to use blogengine 'within' the rest of the site?

I currently have blog engine on my site, in a sub directory. I had to recreate the skin, navigation etc rather than be able to use the template.ascx file as the rest of the site does...

Is it possible, or do you have to duplicate code?

virtualtap is offline Senior Member

As you guys are discussing blogengine integration with ADNSF, I was wondering of you have encountered the issue I am having.
    I have integrated the blog so that it sits at mydomain.com/blog everything is working fine accept the extension manager does not list any extensions. any ideas?

Thanks
    MSX

jsimacek is offline Senior Member

Guys those are issues we have come across too in the past. Instead of dealing with the integration headaches of 3rd party Blogs, we have developed our own Blog add-on. See http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/p-8...torefront.aspx

Another issue with integrating 3rd party Blog applications is that they are hard to integrate with the cart's account architecture (so logins are shared etc).

The http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/p-8...torefront.aspx harnesses ASPDNSF's built in features/power to create a blogging environment and adds a number of other features Blogs have (unlimited blogs, categorization, Archive, Twitter feed reader, RSS feed, Facebook Like etc).
    As part of Cyber Monday (expiring tonight at midnight), www.ecommercecartmods.com is running a 25% of everything sale, use the coupon ThankYou
    Jan Simacek - Compunix, LLC
    AspDotNetStorefront trusted Devnet Partner and Reseller since 2005

AspDotNetStorefront Mods and Add-Ons at http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/
    - Searching, Filtering and Sorting (like cSearch, Dealer Locator, Price Ranges, Blog)
    - Reports (like Cart Abandonment and Net Sales)
    - Customer Experience (like Question/Answers)
    - Site and Data Management (like Entity Product Mapper, Bulk Updaters, Make/Model/Year filters)

virtualtap is offline Senior Member

I actually got blogengine all figured out now.
    MSX

deanfp is offline Senior Member

We are currently using Blogspot but will eventually migrate to wordpress.org and then develop it so any updated posts get automatically populated onto our homepage.

webopius is offline Senior Member

Wordpress integrated with ASPDNSF works really well and is actually quite easy to integrate.

Run your store on www.yourdomain.com
    Run Wordpress on www.yourdomain.com/blog
    Write a small control within ASPDNSF that retrieves wordpress blog posts and puts them on your homepage.
    Within your blog, you can of course link to product or category pages, or create links to search terms within your store

Urbanexcess.com does exactly this and we've done this before on many sites.

Adam