Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Weird Locale Error

tmoney101 is offline Senior Member

Default Weird Locale Error

Running ML 8.0.1.2

The store has been running for a while without any issues. Suddenly the other day we noticed some asp errors when trying to access the site. We saw it on one pc, and then another. Since then it happens quite regularly on my pc when trying to access the site. Its very random, and it can be easily fixed by deleting your cookies. Once you get the error on a pc, it will not go away until you delete your cookies.

This is the error code:

The name ''+LocaleSetting+'' contains characters that are not valid for a Culture or Region.
    Parameter name: name

Line 301: Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = CultureInfo.CreateSpecificCulture(Localization.Get WebConfigLocale());
    Line 302: Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = new CultureInfo(ThisCustomer.LocaleSetting);
    Line 303: LoadSkinTemplate();
    Line 304: m_Parser = new Parser(m_EntityHelpers, m_SkinID, m_ThisCustomer);

Source File: \App_Code\SkinBase.cs Line: 302

The error happens on line 302.

The weird thing is this site gets a lot of traffic, and no users have seemed to complain about it, so I almost feel like I am the only one seeing the error, but I still feel it must be a problem everyone can see.

We have not made any changes recently that could of done this.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be, considering that deleting cookies will fix it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by tmoney101; 03-18-2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: correction of ifno

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Hmmm, not one I've seen before. What are the names for your locales? (en-US, es-ES, etc)

We are using en-AU (Australia)

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

Sounds like a corrupt DB entry? Have you tried logging in as a different customer using a completely different browser? I is likely an issue with the locale cookie or the db locale setting for the customer record.

A db corruption issue? Why do you think this?

In a different browser the error doest happen. We have only seen it in firefox.

What I did was figure out exactly what cookie was causing it:

Name:

ASPDNSFGUID

Value:

CC065516404166B5FB2749FCD5A9440B5D407B231AC1135793 91CA18A5BB3BD6203004CD8F40A8BDA67F95191DCF4DBFD44D EE4155798769117CE2C958960A2949B5A943B80855D6441ACC 690DBD3778CB0E68C639F92B3BC1E303553D72AE8904D03054 B38A1E6A641633C258BCB7E7BF78FE4657DB62AF92342E4C20 A7C01B

After deleting this Cookie the problem goes away. However everynow and again the site will have the error and when I check the cookies its back.

Anyone know what this cookie is for and why it causes this error?

can anyone help?

I have found the problem. Yet still am to find a solution from it happening again.

We looked at the customer record in the database of my user account where we knew the problem was happening. We found that the LocaleSetting column had this value:

'LocaleSe

All other accounts that did not have this issue had the correct value of:

en-AU

So we know what the problem is but what we don't know is why its happening. Does anyone have an idea what part of the code could be inserting this value into this field in the customer record?

We have tested creating registered accounts, and on creation they have the correct locale inserted. So we feel that for registered accounts at some point the record is being updated with this value.

In terms of anonymous users (who don't register) some of these did have the value as well. But I am not sure if this is happening on creation or updating.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.