Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Decimal Quanities

DavidMyers is offline Junior Member

Default Decimal Quanities

Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to set the shop up to allow for partial quanitites. An example would be if a product was charged by the metre, and clients can purchase portions of a metre.

I understand that it would be possible to charge say $1 per 0.25m, and then force users to enter an integer representing the quantity (eg, 5 = 1.25m = $5), however we do not want to quote prices in this way. We would much prefer to say $4 per 1m, and then allow users to enter a decimal number (eg, 1.25 = $5).

How would I go about doing this? Would it be possible to 'map' decimal values to integers (ie, the user enters 1.25, but the system understands this as 5) without the user being able to tell?

John Reasons is offline Senior Member

I think it would require a very deep rewrite, as we use an int value for the product quantity.

DavidMyers is offline Junior Member

In this topic here: http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.co...ht=quiltbasket

Two people have mentioned that they managed to set this up. I've taken a look at the Quilt Basket website and it does indeed allow for fractional quantities.

I find it difficult to believe that there isn't a significant market using AspDotNetStorefront that needs to sell things by the yard, metre, pound, kilogram, litre, etc.

Is it possible to fake it by making the base quantity (1) equivalent to 0.25m, but dividing the values on the product page/shopping cart so that the user is not aware? This would allow the user to work in decimal numbers, but then the system can still use it's integers.