Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: 301 Redirect

baba is offline Senior Member

Default 301 Redirect

Hi,

I have a product named XYZ. So google caches that page to p-123-XYZ.aspx.

Finally one day i rename the product XYZ to XXX. So now my page name is p-123-XXX.aspx. Since google already cached that page, when some one comes from google search, i dont want to show them product not available, instead i want it to redirect to my default page.

How to do this redirect (called 301 redirect) on the website level, without touching the IIS server. The product details page is just an example but we want this to be implemented on all the old pages (even non-product details page).

ANy thoughts ??
    Take Care

B-A-B-A

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

The 301Redirect addon from compunix

BFG 9000 is offline Senior Member

baba is offline Senior Member

BFG,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i checked the showproducts & category page. they do have a 301 redirect.

For others just providing the information how to do it.

we have some customers migrating from other ecommerce platforms to storefront. so we wanted not to lose the page rank in google. So in that case we created a HTTPModule class and then inside the class we modified the application_error function, to customize it to redirect to whatever page we needed.

Hope this helps if anyone is looking for similar issues.

-- Baba
    Take Care

B-A-B-A

supergriff is offline Senior Member

What is the optimal approach for 301 redirecting all category / product URLs?

The default aspdnsf behaviour (im running 7.0.2.5) seems to be:
    - Not found product id = redirects to t-productnotfound.aspx
    - Not found category id = redirects to default.aspx
    - Whether the cat name / product name is correct is irrelevant as both get 301 redirected to the correct page.

Is it worth using the compunix module to map all old category URLs to their new equivalent? Does redirecting to the correct URL havea better effect on retaining page rank as mapping to default.aspx?

Is it even feasible to attempt this for 1000+ product URLs? (or is the best option in that case to leave the default functionality in place and redirect to t-productnotfound)???
    Last edited by supergriff; 03-09-2010 at 12:26 PM.