Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Categories not showing in Parent Dropdown

jamiec is offline Junior Member

Default Categories not showing in Parent Dropdown

Hi all

Im having an issue on a one of my ADNSF websites. When I add a sub-category in the categories tree it pulls through ok. However when I want to add a sub-category to the one I just created it does not appear in the Parent dropdown.

Although after and hour or two it suddenly appears. Does anyone else experiance this and does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks for your help

Jamie

Mike The Last Boyscout is offline User

This appears to be a caching issue. You can either wait until the cache automatically clears (which is why it appears after an hour or two) or you would need to restart IIS to force clear the cache. You may do so by going to Start->Run and typing IISRESET if you have access, or by contacting your hosting company.

This will no longer be an issue in our ML v9.0 software!

LonestarF1 is offline Junior Member

Don't suppose you have any sort of permanent fix that could be done for version 8? Or at least a place to look. I've been wracking my brain for a while on this because the data is saying the category should be there, but it's just not being displayed, which is all kinds of odd.

The "Reset Cache" button doesn't do anything for this problem and waiting for the cache to reset on it's own in a shared hosting environment makes for very frustrating updates.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

peace,
    CR

George the Great is offline Senior Member

Do you have caching turned on (home page in admin shows caching on or you can check the CacheMenus appconfig parameter)? The parent dropdown comes from entity helpers, which will not refresh until a reset when caching is on (we check the cached value if caching is on and use that instead of a fresh entity list):
    Code:
    ArrayList al;
    String CacheName = String.Format("GetEntityArrayList_{0}_{1}_{2}_{3}_{4}_{5}", m_EntitySpecs.m_EntityName, ForParentEntityID.ToString(), Prefix, FilterEntityID.ToString(), LocaleSetting, AppLogic.IsAdminSite.ToString());
    if (AppLogic.CachingOn)
    {
        al = (ArrayList)HttpContext.Current.Cache.Get(CacheName);
        if (al != null)
        {
            if (CommonLogic.ApplicationBool("DumpSQL"))
            {
                HttpContext.Current.Response.Write("Cache Hit Found!<br />\n");
            }
            return al;
        }
    }
    and don't even bother running through the rest of the logic to get fresh entities. If you do have that turned on, just turn it off while you are in the admin section editing your entities...you can turn it back on when you're finished working
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

LonestarF1 is offline Junior Member

Caching is off, as is CacheMenus. Also another oddity is that this only seems to happen if the category in question isn't published. I stepped through the code in debug mode and it is definitely sending "false" to "PublishedOnly" for the admin tool, so it's odd that not showing up.

peace,
    CR

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

Yes... The issue actually seems to be a client side caching issue in the tree control, and there is no rhyme or reason, or nothing reproduceable. For that reason, we completely removed it in V9 and replaced it with a nice collapsible grid control/modal edit window combo Much slicker and faster to manage. We probably won't be releasing any further updates for v8 on top of 8.0.1.2.

campbelt101 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanV View Post
    Yes... The issue actually seems to be a client side caching issue in the tree control, and there is no rhyme or reason, or nothing reproduceable. For that reason, we completely removed it in V9 and replaced it with a nice collapsible grid control/modal edit window combo Much slicker and faster to manage. We probably won't be releasing any further updates for v8 on top of 8.0.1.2.
    I'm confused... I have a post here describing the exact same issue but I'm using version 9.013. I see this issue when I click on the Plus sign immediately to the left of the Category Name. The in the page that shows up, the parent field will revert to Root because the option it tried to load is not available.

I agree though, that it definitely seems to be a caching issue as an IISRESET did (temporarily) fix the issue.