Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Unhandled Exceptions

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

Default Unhandled Exceptions

Just curious if others have this issue.

When mcafee scans our site it creates hundreds and hundreds of unhandled exceptions that get stuck in the EventViewer. It doesnt cause any real harm, but my host says that my site (his only ASPDNSF site) accounts for 95% off all the errors in teh event viewer and he'd like for me to get it cleaned up a bit. Im not overly concerned as I plan to go to a dedicated server in the near future but id like to know if there is a better way of handling uncaught exceptions?

Thanks

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

That's a natural byproduct of McAfee scans, they're deliberately trying to cause errors on the site. They do that to test your error handling, whether or not the site recovers from unhandled errors, what information is displayed on error pages (path info, OS info, etc), etc.

There are ways to prevent error logs from being written to Event Viewer, but that's not really a great plan as then you take the chance of losing logs that you really want to see. If they really want to cut down on those errors though, your host should be able to do that for now.

In version 9, we've added a new error handling function that writes all of those errors to an internal system log so that won't be an issue anymore.

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

Version 9 sounds perfect Scott, I can't wait!

Thanks