Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Help setting up staging server

bruceg is offline Junior Member

Default Help setting up staging server

We have been running a production server for over a year and we have had a development site setup as well. We are now trying to setup a staging server but we for now trying to do it on the same server as the production server. I understand from some other posts that this is not the best practice especially for testing new versions of aspdotnetstorefront as updating one site will likely update the other one. However, due to lack of time and physical resources, we are wanting to do it for now. We are primarily doing it to test small changes to the site done by the developers.
    Having said all that, what is the best way to setup the site? We copied the entire folder to a new one under inetpub and then created a new website and pointed it to this one but I understand the database settings is in the web.config file which is currently encrypted so we can't make the change. How do I get the web.config unencrypted or create a new one that point to the correct database for the staging site? Thanks for your help.
    BTW, I am running AspDotNetStorefront ML 8.0.1.2/8.0.1.2.

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

You need to make sure that the changes made to the staging files won't mess up into the production site. As for decrypting the web.config, go to Configuration -> Site Configuration Wizard -> Encrypt the Web.Config to NO and submit. Once you've done that and copied the web.config/encryption key value, go back and encrypt it again.

You can as well get the web.config file from the AspDotNetStorefront Ml build, which you've downloaded from our site.