Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Questions about custom Product attributes

lhanssen is offline Junior Member

Default Questions about custom Product attributes

I'm and experienced .NET developer just getting started with AspDotNetStorefront ML 8.0.1.2. I have looked through the database and have studied how the entities work from a conceptual standpoint while at the same time perusing the online manual and admin area.

Our customer has products with many custom attributes (maybe 10-15). I've searched this forum and have seen suggestions for ways to handle this is: extension data and kits.
    After looking more closely at both, they are not acceptable to our client. I'm now looking at customizing the product.

It appears that I'll need to following:
    1. add columns to the Product or ProductVariant table (which is more appropriate? I'm guessing ProductVariant)
    2. edit either admin/entityEditProducts.aspx OR admin/entityEditProductVariant.aspx depending on table modified
    a. looks like the sql is inline instead of stored procs
    b. add my own validation and handle my own tool tips
    3. edit any stored procs that grab data to display in the xmlpackages (I've seen examples on this forum) by adding the new columns
    4. edit any xmlpackages for display that need my new data

Can someone confirm that I'm going the right direction?
    Are there going to be any obstacles I might encounter that I didn't think of?
    I'm trying to get a sense of the full scope of work so I can plan my time and keep in line with our budget.

Thanks.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Sounds like you've covered most of it. The only other thing I can think of offhand would be to adapt one or more of the import tools (Excel, XML, or WSI) to allow your client to bulk upload those new elements. Depending on the number of products they sell, manually setting up each product might take a while with an extra 15 attributes.

rocketTendon is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Surprised

I'm kind of surprised that custom-attributes based on product-type doesn't exist out of the box (or even just custom-attributes not based on product-type)... given all the thought that has been put into this product.

With our products... we have several attributes that we need to be made available in "advanced search".

Do you guys have plans to implement this in the future?

Feature-suggestion I suppose.

McJoe is offline Member

This is a frequent request by our customers. Aspdotnetstorefront should invest some time to implement this or get a 3rd party to make a good plug-in.

philipb is offline Junior Member

We are also in this situation. The products we sell have a large number of custom attributes (size, material, color, component type, component shape, to name a few) in a variety of permutations, depending on product type.

In addition to the changes outlined by lhanssen, the Orders_CustomCart table & corresponding code infrastructure may need to be modified as well, not to mention the product template being used & the invoicing, receipts, etc used for order processing.