Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: ASPDNSF Built-in Excel Import Error Question

Upscale_Automotive is offline Senior Member

Question ASPDNSF Built-in Excel Import Error Question

I use the Excel Import tool quite often and I just uploaded a freshly built, 1 product, 4 variant, Excel import file successfully. However, after uploading I decided to trim the descriptions down a bit in my Excel file and upload the new version. I am repeatedly getting this error, "Exception=External references are currently not supported." Considering my Excel file is exactly the same as before, just with a shorter description, I am unable to figure this one out. I have even tried changing the file name and nuking the originally imported product/variants, but still get this error. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

Check this KB.

Quote Originally Posted by AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Alfred View Post
    Check this KB.
    I found that and made sure everything is formatted as text/numbers, however I think I've found the true culprit.

When a cell is formatted as text this happens:
    If the text is between 1 and 255 characters the text is shown normally
    If the text is between 256 and 1024 characters the text is shown as hashmarks (#)
    If the text is longer than 1025 characters the text is shown normally
    If the cells is formatted as General there is no problem.

When I cut my descriptions back, I ended up in that 256-1024 range and end up with this error. I am going to make my descriptions longer than 1024 characters and try again. Seems very weird.

I just tried uploading after making descriptions long again, will not work.
    I even tried taking the Excel import sample file, selecting the relevant range of cells and 'format pasting' my upload. I also tried copying the import sample file and pasting only the formatting. None of this works.

Finally, I tried the reverse of my last post. I tried copying my upload file rows into the ML8 sample file, keeping the destination formatting. This worked. Someway or another my upload file formatting got really messed up. I wish I knew how. I will have to work around this through the rest of my update for the next 1700 items

BFG 9000 is offline Senior Member

I used to get this all the time - now I don't even try importing the file I've been working in.
    I just create a new empty file & copy the whole of the sheet I've been working on into it making sure to use paste : special : values.

TTFN

BFG

Quote Originally Posted by BFG 9000 View Post
    I used to get this all the time - now I don't even try importing the file I've been working in.
    I just create a new empty file & copy the whole of the sheet I've been working on into it making sure to use paste : special : values.

TTFN

BFG
    This is exactly what I've ended up doing. I haven't had this much trouble with this before, but from now on I will probably being going with this method by default.