Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Expanding "Distributor" Functionality

GoodFella is offline Member

Default Expanding "Distributor" Functionality

I am in the early planning stage of a project that will expand the "Distributor" functionality.

In a nut shell, I would like my distributors to be able to log into a system where they can see all of their open orders (partial orders). I want them to be able to Log In and enter the tracking numbers.

If an order placed is handled by 3 different distributors, the standard confirmation email will inform the customer that there will be 3 shipments. The 3 distributors will be notified and they will be able to view their part of the order in their system that will be created. They will be able to log in and mark it as shipped and enter the tracking number. This will then trigger another email notification to the customer.

This shouldn't be hard to accomplish. My question is ... should I make an entirely new app or should I put this new functionality in the existing ADMIN part and limit rights to those Distributor users?

Any thoughts on getting this into reality?

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

I would say make a separate app. It should be pretty simple to get the info you need out of the storefront for display elsewhere with WSI, and it'll save you from having to modify the storefront admin site to restrict access. There's an easy way to restrict admin access a bit, but you would likely be giving them access to the Orders page, which would require that you go over that page with a fine-toothed comb to make sure there weren't any links left that they could use to navigate to other areas of the admin site. You also won't have to make any changes or redo any work when you upgrade to a later version of the storefront.

Yea I agree with the separate App.

I will have to brush up with the WSI. I do not know much about it but at first glace, it looks pretty interesting.

As far as DB changes ... I think I will have to make a new table that will join to the orders table that will track the "Distributor Orders" (tracking numbers etc).

How would I go about creating User Names / Passwords LogIn Credentials? New Table? New web.config?

Thanks again.

Emissary is offline Member

Default We have that app

Hello Goodfella,
    I just happen to run across your post while searching for another. My software team created an web app that does what I believe you are asking for. If you are interested, please let me know. We have been considering placing it up into the ASPDNSF market place to provide that to others as well.
    Glad to see there is an interest here.
    Look forward to hearing from you,
    Scott

Scott. I am interested in learning more. Please provide any info you may have.

Thank you,
    Marc

Emissary is offline Member

Marc, can you please provide me with an email where we can discuss this offline?
    Thanks,
    Scott

Scott,

I havn't heard from you. I sent you a PM with my email address for more information.

Thanks.