Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Dynamic Weight Adjustment

dvdbglw is offline Member

Default Dynamic Weight Adjustment

Looking for suggestions on dynamically subtracting weight from an order before sending RT Ship Request based on what is in the cart. This would be done for products that meet a given requirement, such as the product is a gift pack.

Example:

1 Regular product at 5 lbs
    2 Gift packs at 5 lbs each
    --------------------------------
    equals 15 lbs for the order

We want to subtract 3 lbs for each additional gift pack, making the order 12 lbs as follows:

1 Regular product at 5 lbs
    1st Gift pack at 5 lbs
    2nd 5-lb Gift pack would only be 2 lbs (subtracting 3 lbs for each additional gift pack)

I don't know, sounds like a challenge!

George the Great is offline Senior Member

Does sound intriguing. I once provided guidance to someone implementing UPS Hundred Weight Service which involved some similar logic. Basically we had to come up with a way to load up pallets based on what was in the cart and if there was room on another pallet determine which of the remaining products would fit on the pallet without putting it over weight and do so while minimizing the number of pallets that would need to be used overall.

That one was a bit complex, but in your case I think you would just need to implement some logic in the RTShipping class to look at the items in the cart and then determine what to do with them. You could probably get away with only touching that one file.
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

dvdbglw is offline Member

I'm wondering if an XMLPackage modification would provide the results needed in this case, as we do not have the source code, where I believe the RTShipping class resides. My assumption is that the XML Request would just need to be modified before it is sent to UPS, therefore affecting the XML Response sent back to the website.