Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Physical CD / Download product variants?

skpr is offline Member

Default Physical CD / Download product variants?

I have a few products that are software, and we would like the customer to be able to order either a physical CD, requiring shipping, or a software download, no shipping required.

Are variants the best way to go about this?

I was thinking the default variant would be for a software download, with "no shipping required" selected.

The second variant would be for a physical CD, same price, but with shipping required.

I am quite new to this store software; am I on the right track here?

John Reasons is offline Senior Member

Hey,

Yup your on the right track. Though you could just set the item variant as is download or shipping is not required, either is appropriate.

And yes you can have the second variant as a physical item that requires shipping.

skpr is offline Member

Thanks John!

Another question regarding the download item function: Is there somewhere to enter in a customer's software key so that it is sent to them with the download link via email?

I'm a bit confused with how software keys are handled here.

Thanks for your help!

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Well the short answer is - they're not. We don't actually do anything with software keys for digital downloads. If you've got those being generated through a third party app you could import them into a customer's record with WSI and then deliver it to them. The easiest way would probably be to modify the receipt email to pull that value and include it.