Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: How many is too many products?

jazzloft99 is offline Senior Member

Default How many is too many products?

I have over 16,000 products currently in storefront. Is there a limit to how many products the shopping cart can handle?

John Reasons is offline Senior Member

Are you starting to see issues with performance with that many products? I ask because I am curious what has prompted this question. In general the software really does not have a limit to how many products it can handle. While at a certain point some changes will need to be made to adjust for the extra load, and the hosting environment has a lot of influence on this.

You might want to check out this page for some steps on tuning up the site if your seeing performance issues.

http://manual.aspdotnetstorefront.co...rge-sites.aspx

Yes, it seems to be using up a lot of CPU and memory.

John Reasons is offline Senior Member

Hmm, what are the specs on your hosting environment? Also do you have the sql server on the same machine as the web server? If so I would highly recommend moving it off to it's own machine.

Again I would recommend taking a look at this page. http://manual.aspdotnetstorefront.co...rge-sites.aspx

The web server is a single quad-core Intel Xeon 3GHz processor with 2GB of memory, running Server 2003 and IIS6. The SQL server is on its own machine, a dual quad-core Intel Xeon 1.6GHz processor with 4GB of memory, running SQL Server 2005 and serving ~225 databases.
    Last edited by jazzloft99; 02-05-2010 at 12:32 PM.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Ouch, 4gb of RAM to serve 225 dbs? Granted you're (hopefully) not going to have constant demand on all of them, but SQL will eat up 4gb of RAM in no time. It would really be best to get the DB on either a more powerful or 'less popular' machine so the DB's got more resources available to it.

That's also further reason to take a look at the performance tuning info John's sent a couple of times, as a lot of that has to do with trimming down DB requests.