Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Trigger Email Tracking#

Amazing is offline Senior Member

Default Trigger Email Tracking#

Using v8.0.0.0

We have created a WSI application which uploads the tracking information, and marks the orders as shipped, but have not figured out how to have it auto send the tracking emails.

Any pointers?

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

We've found it easier to have UPS/Fedex send the emails for us. In UPS World Ship its just a flag they set that tells them to email the customer.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

You could probably use the OrderShipped Event Handler to do that pretty easily as well.

jmdjmd is offline Junior Member

Has anyone been able to accomplish this?

alp is offline Junior Member

Default This might work for you

Referencing the WSI, I created a class with a function for processing the "OrderManagement" feature. All of the options for this feature are documented online under the WSI Master Doc Reference...way at the bottom.

My function accepts parameters for each of the possible attributes (OrderNumber, Action, RefundReason, TrackingNumber, ShippingCarrier, Notes, and NewEMail.)

Important Note: The "ShippingCarrier" attribute is actaully "ShippedCarrier." Had to dig that out of the source code after I realized it was not working. Make sure the XML Attribute in the OrderManagement node is titled "ShippedCarrier."

In my function I used a StringBuilder to build up the XML for the call to the WSI. If a parameter is passed in a empty string, I exclude it from the XML string.

I call this function from my code and pass in "MarkAsShipped" for the Action Attribute, along with the OrderNumber, TrackingNumber, and ShippedCarrier.

That is pretty much it. My function processes the WSI call and the Order record is updated in the database and the email goes to the Customer just like it would if you were to mark something as shipped from the StoreFront Admin interface.

I hope this helps someone.

jdudley is offline Member

Can you post your function? I am running into an issue where I need to send the shipped email after updating the shipping using the WSI. I just realized that it doesnt do this automatically...

alp is offline Junior Member

Default Here is how I formatted the XML and sent to WSI

Note: the function this code in within, takes String params for the values such as action, refundReason, trackingNumber, etc.

Dim sb As New StringBuilder
    sb.Append("<AspDotNetStorefrontImport Verbose=""false"">")
    sb.Append(" <Transaction>")

sb.Append("<OrderManagement OrderNumber=""" & orderNumber & """")
    sb.Append(" Action=""" & action & """")

If refundReason <> "" Then
    sb.Append(" RefundReason=""" & refundReason & """")
    End If
    If trackingNumber <> "" Then
    sb.Append(" TrackingNumber=""" & trackingNumber & """")
    End If

If shippedCarrier <> "" Then
    sb.Append(" ShippedCarrier=""" & shippedCarrier & """")
    End If

If notes <> "" Then
    sb.Append(" Notes=""" & notes & """")
    End If

If NewEMail <> "" Then
    sb.Append(" NewEMail=""" & NewEMail & """")
    End If

sb.Append(" />")

sb.Append(" </Transaction>")
    sb.Append("</AspDotNetStorefrontImport>")

strXML = wsi.DoIt(Me.AuthenticationEmail, Me.AuthenticationPassword, sb.ToString())
    wsi.Dispose()

Jose Rojas is offline Member

Default Trigger Email

I can help with the Tracking Number email, PM or send a email if interested.

Laban is offline Junior Member

Cool

I am having the same issue - how to get a shipment confirmation email sent when marking the order as shipped via WSI.

Here is an example of the XML of the request:

<AspDotNetStorefrontImport Verbose="false">
    <OrderManagement OrderNumber="100161" Action="MarkAsShipped" ShippedOn="06/02/2010" ShippedCarrier="UPS" TrackingNumber="2216Y19F031237777" NewEMail="joe@acme.com"/>
    </AspDotNetStorefrontImport>

This updates the order just fine, but no email gets sent (I have tried with and without the NewEMail attribute).

Is there any way to make this work via WSI?

Thanks,
    Laban

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

That should work fine. Just make sure your appconfig: SendShippedEMailToCustomer is set to true. You'll have to remove the NewEmail attribute also, that's only used in OrderManagementActionEnum.ChangeOrderEMail operation.

SendShippedEMailToCustomer is set to true in appconfig.

It does send an email if I manually click Mark As Shipped from the "View / Manage Orders", but it does not send an email if you mark it as shipped via WSI (and I do not use NewEMail - that was just one of the things I tried when trying to get this working).

How can I get this working?

Laban, sorry for the late response. Could you tell me what version are you on so I can try locally? I don't see that was stated here anywhere. thnx

9.0.1.3 (according to the readme.txt file)

Ok thnx. I'll check this here with my stock copy and let you know the result shortly.

I tried this here with my local v9013 install and it worked just fine. I've posted screen shots below to prove it.

WSI request:
    Name:  wsi.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  52.4 KB

Here's the shipped email notification:
    Name:  shipped.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  27.6 KB

This is working out-of-the-box, tried both in C# and VB.
    Last edited by ASPAlfred; 07-20-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Smile

Alfred,

Thanks for testing that. I just ran the same test again that I did a month ago when I reported the problem and this time I worked just fine - just like it did for you. I am not sure what the problem could have been back then. The only difference I can think of is that this time I placed these orders as Admin instead of as a regular user, but that should not matter.

Anyhow, it works fine! Thanks.

I'm glad to know it worked for you now. If you run the same problem again in the future, please let us know.

makingideaswork is offline Junior Member

Default Turn off order shipped auto-email

Is there a way to turn off the order shipped email that goes out to the customer, when you're marking the item shipped and put the tracking number in thru the admin area?

We send out tracking emails separately, but keep the admin updated manually for customers when they login and view their accounts.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

You can set the SendShippedEMailToCustomer AppConfig to false.

Sfuhrman is offline Junior Member

Default You Lost Me

H have no idea what WSI is. I have had an issue with the tracking emails going out to my customers where the shipped via always says UPS and not the company I shipped with. Also the tracking number is not a link in the email. I know the software produces the link for tracking correctly because it is visable from the administrator side of the software.

How do I fix this email so it is correct?

I have requested my installer designer to fix this and either he dont know how or doesnt want to. Eitherway, I am falling back on the theory, if you want something done you do it yourself.

Thanks in advance.