Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Category/Sub-Category Product Description

Penny is offline Junior Member

Default Category/Sub-Category Product Description

I am not too familiar with all the programming of the AspDotNetStorefront software, as I am not a programmer, but I would like to know if there is a way for us to include a short description for our products on the category/sub-category pages? This would be the page where all the products within the category are listed. We currently use the Description section in the admin to enter the description for each product to display on the individual product page. Is there a way to use the Summary section to display a small, select, section of the description with these products? Or is there a better method of doing this?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

mbertulli is offline Senior Member

Penny,

Yes you can do this. It will require you to modify the XML Package you are using to display products on your category pages. The most commonly used XML Packages are the entity.grid.xml.config and entity.gridwithprices.xml.config.

You'll want to add the following line in the XMLPackage of choice, in the location you want the summary to appear.

<xsl:value-of select="Summary" disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
    Matthew Bertulli
    Demac Media
    mbertulli@demacmedia.com
    Custom Web Design & E-Commerce Development
    AspDotNetStoreFront Platinum DevNet Partner
    ----

Custom Skinning & Design
    Web Services Integration
    Custom Reporting
    Salesforce.com eCommerce AspDotNetStoreFront Integration

craiga is offline Junior Member

I too are looking to add a description to a sub category page and I tried your suggestion and it did not work for me. I also tried declaring the normal (following ASPDNSF naming):

<xsl:value-of select="$pSummary" disable-output-escaping="yes" />

And using

<xslaram name="pSummary" select="aspdnsf:GetMLValue(Summary)"></xslaram>

I am also looking too add some text as part of an "xml template" to the bottom of my xml package to display under the related products part of the xml package:

<xsl:template name="ProductCell">

<xslaram name="pName" select="aspdnsf:GetMLValue(Name)"></xslaram>

<td align="center" valign="top" style="font-size:0.8em;">
    <table>
    <tr>
    <td height="30" align="center" valign="top">
    <a href="{aspdnsf:ProductandEntityLink(ProductID, SEName, $EntityID, $EntityName, 0)}">
    <xsl:value-of select="aspdnsf:LookupImage(ProductID, 'product', 'icon', 1)" disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
    </a>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td height="45" align="center" valign="top" style="padding-top:5px;">
    <a href="{aspdnsf:ProductandEntityLink(ProductID, SEName, $EntityID, $EntityName, 0)}">
    <xsl:value-of select="$pName" disable-output-escaping="yes" />
    </a>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </td>
    </xsl:template>
    <xsl:template name="FillerCells">
    <xslaram name="cellCount"/>
    <xslaram name="CellWidth" select="100 div $SubcatGridCols" />
    <td width="{$CellWidth}%">&#160;</td>
    <xsl:if test="$cellCount > 1">
    <xsl:call-template name="FillerCells">
    <xsl:with-param name="cellCount" select="$cellCount - 1"/>
    </xsl:call-template>
    </xsl:if>

</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>
    </PackageTransform>

</package>

I am new to the ASPDNSF system and I am unsure how to achieve it because no matter where I have tried in the template it doesn't seem to position in the right place. If anyone can help that would be great!