Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: web.config MachineKey guestion

rightontop is offline Junior Member

Default web.config MachineKey guestion

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding generating machine keys in the web.config file.

First, I understand that I have to go to this area in the web.config file:

<!-- use a key generator like http://aspnetresources.com/tools/keycreator.aspx to generate a unique machineKey -->
    <machineKey validationKey="AutoGenerate" decryptionKey="AutoGenerate" validation="XXXX"/>
    </system.web>

My first though is that I should generate one key and put it where I have placed the 4 x's above ( validation="XXXX"/>

However, I read this thread in the forum "Checklist of tasks before going Live" which makes me not so sure ( see below):

"Generate MachineKeys
    Open the web.config file, and search for "MachineKey". Every site should have a unique set of validation and decryption keys. You can generate your own here"

Sounds to me like I am generating two machine keys, not one. If so, two dirrerent unique keys would obviously go in the "AutoGenerate" fields, correct?

Asuming this is correct, then what it that value at the end of the string? ( validation="XXXX"/>) Note: I replaced the default values for this post.

Do I just leave this be, and then use the encrypt wizard?

Thanks in advance

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

YOu would use exactly what is given to you by the generated code from the link you provided.

For example, I just did one to test and here is what it gave me. I would replace

Code:
    <machineKey validationKey="AutoGenerate" decryptionKey="AutoGenerate" validation="XXXX"/>
    with

Code:
    <machineKey 
    validationKey="821E3ADEAA4FA64F68B073938A13C4DFD08E595907D52FB5C5D3D412773497D862E776F7ADAB909E2B12084BEE1786FCA538B244B5FAE9F3880A8B83D1721ABC"
    decryptionKey="C5242F5216C8B467EC5C53E4F7C267B1CC8A81FF980FF7696A1EAAAB414D6BD8"
    validation="SHA1"
    decryption="AES"
    />

George the Great is offline Senior Member

Gonna have to give you job soon ssgumby
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

rightontop is offline Junior Member

Default Oh yeah!

Oh what a Dufus I am! Of course, I just replace the "whole string" with the new one generated by the tool. I am forever complicating things. No wonder I couldn't find a thread on this. Everybody else figured it out without help!

Man, I need a vacation. Plus, I been trapped in this room breathing my own farts too long.

Thanks alot for your help.