Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Debugging

TomWelch is offline Member

Default Debugging

I'm pretty new to the new Visual Studio. I haven't done much development on it since VS6. I'm trying to debug ASPDNSF in the VS 2008 ide and it builds and runs the app and will let me step through the individual scripts and pages. But for some reason whenever it hits where I should be using the source it seems to run the dll and move on. Almost as though it doesn't have access to the source. I added a breakpoint to RTShipping.vb. I need to step through it to see what's broken. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

-Tom

George the Great is offline Senior Member

Did you rebuild the solution? In order to debug you'll need to recompile the entire application so that it creates the .pdb files (which are named the same as the assemblies but with a .pdb instead of a .dll extension) in the bin directory.
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

TomWelch is offline Member

Default Debugging

Yes I do have a .pdb file in the /bin/debug dir. I have rebuilt the entire app many times. It does allow me to do some debugging. Just no debugging of the source code. Is there some way to set up the solution in VS to allow for local debugging in the built in server? So it's not trying to hit my webserver and running the app from there? It currently reaches out to the webserver which tells me I'm not interacting locally at all. I figure that's why it just runs the DLL's and not stepping through the source. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Tom

robotdogdesign is offline Junior Member

I'm encountering the same issue. I've made changes to the source (AspDotNetStorefrontCommon.ShoppingCart) and after I compile, none of the assemblies of PDB files are updated. This has been confirmed by removing all the files from the BIN folder, they are not replaced during a compile, while a custom project I have added is replaced just fine.

Can someone shed some light on why these assemblies do not compile correctly?

I'm using VS2008 Professional on Windows XP, I'm in compliance with the required specs.

Thank you.

George the Great is offline Senior Member

Have you already configured your solution file? Usually when this occurs, it's because the website that the solution is using doesn't match the one you're trying to build against. Your assemblies and pdb's that are being built and updated aren't ending up in the bin directory of the site, but rather the bin/Debug folder in the project that you are rebuilding (in your case in ASPDNSFCommon/bin/Debug).
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

robotdogdesign is offline Junior Member

Ah, no I had not. I actually had problems getting the site to run (Debug) on my machine, so I ended up deleting the website and recreating it, this is obviously the problem.

I did end up just building the Common project by itself and moving the new DLL over, which solved the issue, but I don't want to do that long term.

I'll go over the link you sent me and make those changes.

Thanks!