Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Site Performance

pervino is offline Member

Default Site Performance

man...why is my storefront site running soooo slow???
    35 seconds for the homepage to display
    15-20 seconds between any two pages on the site
    it's set up on a brand new server with no other apps on the server.
    overall it's almost unusable

fooster is offline Member

Dedicated or VPS server?

Ram on the server?

Sql Express on same server or shared sql server dbase or dedicated sql server?

If your database server doesn't have enough ram I've seen aspdnsf sites load very slowly.

ohmydude_ML is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by pervino View Post
    man...why is my storefront site running soooo slow???
    35 seconds for the homepage to display
    15-20 seconds between any two pages on the site
    it's set up on a brand new server with no other apps on the server.
    overall it's almost unusable
    fooster is asking important questions. the server setup with have bearing on performance.

i would like to also add/ask whether or not you have caching turned on (main admin backened) as that can also speed things up quite a bit.

also, if you haven't, restart the server and retouch your web.config file. sometimes a reset is all it takes! :>)

Single Processor Quad Core Xeon 3220 - 2.40GHz (Kentsfield) - 2 x 4MB cache
    4 GB DDR2 667

module caching method: disk
    performance setting: moderate caching
    authenticated cacheability: serverandnocache
    Last edited by pervino; 01-13-2010 at 12:04 PM.

fooster is offline Member

Where is your sql server in this config- local instance of sql express? Or do you have a full version hosted on this server? Or are you pointing at a database on a shared sql server box?

Have you run yslow on your homepage and a selection of interior pages?

George the Great is offline Senior Member

How many products/entities/customers, etc? Which version of AspDotNetStorefront? Any modifications to the software?
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

i'm using sql's "web" version on the same server.

every page is slow - even just going to the "contact" page

i have 2,000 products but i'm only selecting a small subset at any time.
    and let's say i click on a product to go to the detail page.....it takes like 15 seconds.
    my old PHP site takes 1 second

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

What version of AspDotNetStorefront you're on? You only have 2,000 products, the site should load just fine. What are the other applications running on the server? You might have applications there that's trying to block the site. Lets start troubleshooting this by moving the site to a clean server to isolate the problem and see the result. If it does the same, you could use some sort of a sql profiler, .net profiler or the like. The result should give you enough details on where/what pages/query takes time to load.

I don't believe though that it's a problem with AspDotNetStorefront software as we do have several clients already running 3x more products/categories than you do.
    Last edited by ASPAlfred; 01-13-2010 at 06:43 PM.

this is a brand new server and this is the only app running on the server

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

There is no reason for a site of that size to run slowly (we have a lot of customers running sites larger than that on shared hosting accounts) unless you have very high traffic. Have you done any monitoring (such as using perfmon) to see where things are bottlenecking? How about using something like YSlow to see if it provides any insight (http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/)? Have you run any Disk IO benchmarks to make sure that there isn't an issue with the disk subsystem (I have seen improperly configured RAID arrays or a "slightly" bad hard drive in an arry cause very poor performance). I've also seen images hosted on a slower network cause problems like this, or too many very large images being loaded by the skin.

"Slow" is not normal performance for AspDotNetStorefront (One of my dev sites locally has 250,000 products, 20,000 categories, and nearly a million entity mappings for torture testing and it runs better than you have reported. If you PM me a link to the site, I can take a quick look to see if anything jumps out.

art_r is offline Junior Member

Have your turned off all the debugging / custom error stuff in web.config ?

I think our test site was running about that speed, 30-45sec on initial loading until I turned all of that off/On/RemoteOnly (can't remember exactly but basically your admin site shouldn't have any errors/warnings showing).

I think that was the main thing that made ours go proper speed.

a.

kgupta is offline Junior Member

Default 20 million products and 4000 categories - any work around?

My client has round about 20 million products and 4000 categories. But its not loading the Page. When I debug the things I see in StoreObject.VB by debugging on this code:

CacheEntityMappings("Product") - it keeps on looping in the backend as well for running the SP aspdnsf_getmappedobjects. I understand it fetches 20 million Ids and names to map.

Then I commented this part , the website gets loaded but I am not sure what it will do - I am not sure it will create errors in the website.

what kind of mapping it do on the home page. If some one from ASPDNSF memebers can throw some light on this procedure aspdnsf_getmappedobjects would be helpful. why it is happening on the home page.

I will appreciate an immediate help.

Thank you,
    Kanav