Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Using different URLs for different departments

supergriff is offline Senior Member

Default Using different URLs for different departments

We are expanding the number and type of products we sell via our store. We currently just sell lighting.

I will use the department entity to split the product types - so we will have a 'lighting' and a 'furniture' department. I can use the 'templateswitching' app config to serve different templates for the 2 departments and their products.

What i really want to do is have different URLs for each department - so the 'lighting' one brings up a lighting home page, and the 'furniture' one brings up a different furniture home page.

Is this possible? (im using ML 7.0.2.5)

Rob is offline Senior Member

sure, each dept and category by default have different URLs. nothing for you to do except set them up.
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

sorry i wasn't clear - i meant domains - i want to create the impression of 2 different stores within 1 site.

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately, not. As per our licensing policy each license should only have one dev/staging/production key, if it really requires to have different production domains, you'd need to purchase additional license(s).

Out of interest what would happen if i did point 2 different URLs to the same production instance?

Richnyc30 is offline Senior Member

Default Multi-stores

What you want is the enterprise version now in beta. It is really for several websites(stores) that use the same database and the same fulfillment.
    So, if you are shipping the same products to customers of the different URLs (stores) it is all handled centrally in one admin with every site open to the one admin.
    To make it clear, if you want completely different product lines and have the processing and data entry people only looking at one site the enterprise version is not for you.
    Hope that helps.