Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: My Site

rodin is offline Junior Member

Default My Site

Hello

My test site is working now but it's sluggish on loading pages.
    I compared my site with other live sites, it is too slow.
    I have about 3,000 entities and 22,000 product in my site.
    I contacted with my host, their server resources are listed below:

Windows Server 2008/IIS 7:

* Idle timeout set to 20 minutes. (Information is NOT logged)
    * Memory threshold set to 200 MB.
    * CPU limit set to 70% utilization over 300 seconds (5 minutes).

Please tell what should i do to improve site speed?
    To see our test site click on the link below:
    http://www.jeihoon.com/store/

Thank you

George the Great is offline Senior Member

Is this a shared hosting environment? Do you have your own application pool or do you share one? What kind of traffic do you currently experience? Are you using SQL or SQL Express? All of these things can contribute to performance of a site (as well as a few other things).

You can increase performance in a number of different ways. First, you'll want to turn on caching. You can use the link from the home page in the admin section or set the appconfig CacheMenus to true. You could also set the appconfig CacheEntityPageHTML to true to cache all entity information (note that you won't be able to make changes to products or entities in real time however...the changes will not take effect until cache expires or until you turn it off, reset the cache, and turn it back on). You should only set this to true after most (or preferably all) of your changes have been made and you are comfortable with the way the store is set up and you are ready to go live.

You also can download an add-on for Firefox called YSlow (it's free) which can give you real-time statistics on page-load times and performance, and tell you which components you can improve upon.

You currently don't have a lot of memory, and SQL can chew up most of what's available there by itself. You may want to see about bumping up your memory and perhaps switching to a VPS or dedicated server.
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

Rob is offline Senior Member

yeah, that's terrible way to slow. what is the host and what plan are you on with them? Is DB on/near server?
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

rodin is offline Junior Member

yes, it's a shared hosting environment. I have my own application pool limited to 200MB. Current monthly bandwidth limit: 80GB and also I'm using SQL 2008.
    SQL server is separated from IIS server i guess.
    I can't increase memory on my account, this is maximum amount of memory and my host don't offer more than that.
    My site hosted by discountasp.net and they don't offer dedicated or VP server.
    Last edited by rodin; 01-07-2010 at 02:28 AM.

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

You may need to look at some other providers. 20K products and 3K entities is pushing the limits of a shared hosting account a bit (remember, there might be 500 or more other sites running on the same server). AppliedI offers virtual dedicated hosting that can bridge the gap between going from shared hosting to a dedicated server.