Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: JavaScript/Flash banners in the template

kblake@mainstreet is offline Junior Member

Default JavaScript/Flash banners in the template

is there a way to add in some sort of banner(whether it be JavaScript or Flash) in the template for continuous play(kinda like an includes files for php). The Reason why I ask is because currently, whenever I navigate to a new page on a sitebulder or cart, it restarts the flash or JavaScript banner to the beginning cause of the template file. I figured that something to the effect of an includes file would work, but i know includes doesn't work with this ASP software.

Is there anyway to have it not restart when you change pages???

Rob is offline Senior Member

that should be doable, but are you trying to get something that persists over page loads? That would be a bit complicated, if you just want a banner/flash object/etc on each page load, that's simple, just put in skin template yes. Let me know a bit more to go on. Thanks.
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

yea something that persists because for example, I want to go from the homepage to the about page without interrupting the flash/javascript banner(like a flash movie banner or javascript carousel that has auto play on it). I would like to navigate to different pages without having the javascript and flash restart from the beginning of the movie/action

dev16.mainstreethost.net has an example of a javascript carousel with auto play with 3(filler) photos and when i click on a new page its restarts from the beginning photo(the one with text in the black area)

thanks!

Rob is offline Senior Member

only way I know of is either

a) all flash site, or
    b) iframes/div magic

no other way that I'm aware of. Anyone else feel free to chime in here.
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

I looked into div magic and it confuses lol, I didn't get quite how it would work in this situation. Another thing I had a question about concerning this topic is why ASP doesn't work with the ASPDOTNETSTOREFRONT software such as ASP includes and captcha code?? isn't it the same language?

Jao is offline Senior Member

Well, technically speaking, although, most people (even me, at first) commonly think that ASP.NET is just a step up of ASP (almost all of ASP components and syntaxes are compatible) ; however, I'm afraid that ASP and ASP.NET are two different languages. If you have some book or reference to the comparison of the two mentioned languages, I'm pretty sure that would suffice my explanation...

VibeCommerce is offline Member

I believe this could be done but as mentioned before, it would not be trivial. The problem is that when you go back to the page with the rotating banner, the browser requests that file again and so it just plays. Your flash banner swf file would have to be able to save the point in which it left off or else have marker points throughout that continually update a cookie..something along these lines. Perhaps a handy actionscript/javascript coder could rig this up.
    Unless your banner rotation is unbearably lengthy, your best approach is just to let it restart. No one likes iframes and they generally aren't a good idea on a customer-facing site these days.