Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: LeftNav Flyout menu

cmos is offline Junior Member

Default LeftNav Flyout menu

I am trying to make a flyout menu for my left nav categories navigation to show the sub categories. I am going to use CSS and jQuery or just CSS to make this navigation.
    Using the rev.categories.xml package it auto creates the sub categories when the parent category is click on. This is fine and what I want to happen. But if I am not within that category, I would like to have the child elements of the category with subcategories show up in a flyout menu so if someone is in another page and they want to see the subcategories within another category but don't want to click on it, how would I call the subcategories from another category and display them in a flyout menu. I know it is probably some XSLT stuff, I know the CSS and jQuery but need to know how to get the subcategories to show up.

I want it to do this.

I like this already and have this below set up currently. Which is fine and will keep it this way once the parent category or one of the sub categories from the flyout is clicked.

virtualtap is offline Senior Member

Change line 70 of rev.categories.xml.config

<xsl:if test="count(child::Entity)&gt;0 and (EntityID = $CategoryID or descendant::Entity/EntityID = $CategoryID)">
    to
    <xsl:if test="count(child::Entity)&gt;0">
    Last edited by virtualtap; 12-18-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    MSX

mongesc is offline Senior Member

Are dropdowns done in JQUERY SEO friendly, compared to traditional javascript driven dropdowns? Since JQUERY are list menus that are rendered in the source code.

factorite is offline Junior Member

jQuery IS Javascript, it's just a library. However, yes... generally jQuery is easy to make unobtrusive, which means if you have JS disabled, the menu AND sub-menu should always be visible. Not pretty, but Search Engines don't care about pretty.

Dawg1 is offline Junior Member

is there a way to make it a relational or chained dropdown instead of a flyout?

Adder is offline Junior Member

Ive been having issues getting flyouts to work correctly. I would like to accomplish what the above screen shots are showing. When i tried to change my code from

<xsl:if test="count(child::Entity)&gt;0 and (EntityID = $CategoryID or descendant::Entity/EntityID = $CategoryID)">
    to
    <xsl:if test="count(child::Entity)&gt;0">

Sub categories appeared below their parent without having to click them, expanding the left navigation menu to its max.

Where can i edit code to allow a simple flyout to the right.

PD24 is offline Junior Member

I would like to get the standard menu to fly out but it doesnt seem to work on hover? Any ideas