Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Product Import Question

mike.chang is offline Junior Member

Default Product Import Question

Hi..

I'm on ML 8.0.1.1. What is the best way to update only selected fields using Excel Product Import? For example, I only need to update/edit the product description and price for 100 or so products. The only way I know how is to keep an updated version of the product import file and letting the Excel Product import update products existing in the system. However, the problem with this approach is maintaining a current product import file to constantly upload for updates. Should someone make a change through 'Manage Product,' I would not have captured such changes in my import file. I also cannot just include the fields I want updated in the product import because it will update the remaining fields to blank.

Please help!! Any suggestions are welcome!

Mike

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Selective updates should be done with WSI, the Excel tool really isn't suited to that, especially if you're also making manual adjustments to the same products.

Upscale_Automotive is offline Senior Member

I have the same perspective as the original poster, even after being active on the boards for quite sometime and having given the WSI many chances. I have taken the advice to use the WSI to heart and thoroughly tried to implement it for product updating. The problem is I am no programmer and I have no way of creating a WSI interface that can efficiently pull product data and allow for efficient editing (such as through Excel) and then allow upload of the updated information. I have successfully implemented the WSI Test Program in the past, but manually updating lines of XML is even less efficient than just using the Admin site. Can you please provide some WSI-usage advice for users who are not fluent programmers. Otherwise, how can those in our situation effectively bulk update products?