Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Free Shipping in Weight Based Model

champions_on_display is offline Junior Member

Default Free Shipping in Weight Based Model

We use a weight based shipping structure. Different weight bands offer different carriers and there are upgrades available at each band. So currently we have an app config set to hide shipping prices with a value of $0.00. This how we keep from displaying shipping options that are not available at certain weights (e.g. First Class Mail on items weighing 2+lbs).

We now want to offer Free Shipping at the lowest priced option in each band. But doing so will hide that option under the current structure. And turning off the app config setting that hides items with zero shipping price will allow customers to select shipping options that aren't available for their item based on its weight.

Anyone know a way around this? I've considered charging .01 for the lowest shipping class at each weight, though it's technically not free. Can I put in a value of FREE instead of zero, or put in N/A or some other value for that will hide the shipping methods I don't want to display?

Thanks for any help.

Default More info.

So, another idea came to mind. Set the FreeShippingThreshold to .01, then specify the free shipping methods in ShippingMethodIDIfFreeShippingIsOn. There will be three different possible free shipping methods, since the method that is free differs by weight range. Works, but when a customer checks out with a 5lb item, for example, the are offered all of the possible free shipping methods (including First Class Mail), only one of which is applicable.

Default Solved, sort of

I came up with one solution. I kept the banded weight based shipping and continued to hide classes with a shipping cost of zero. Then, I priced the shipping classes I wanted to be free at 0.0001. When these prices show up in checkout, they appear as 0.00, or free, while the ones prices at 0.0000 don't appear at all. If anyone cares.

Kristi is offline Junior Member

I think this is really close to the problem I'm facing, but I'm not entirely sure.

We have products that vary hugely in price, but are largely the same weight (about 5 lbs).

We want to offer Free Ground Shipping after 40lbs. Purchase.

I see the appconfig for price threshold, but what about weight?

alexstobbe is offline Junior Member

I'm wondering the same thing.
    I'm offering free shipping for orders over $200.00 however I want that to only be for order under 50lbs.

Any ideas?

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

There's nothing 'out of the box' to restrict free shipping based on weight I'm afraid. That would be a pretty easy mod to do if you have the source code though. Just look for where we do the FreeShippingThreshold checks and add another condition in there.