Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: extension data

btappan is offline Senior Member

Default extension data

I'm looking for more info on what the data in the extension data field should look like. Iv'e seen the example:

<ExtensionData>
    <Customer>
    <WeddingDate>10/11/2012</WeddingDate>
    <Allergies>Wheat</Allergies>
    </Customer>
    </ExtensionData>

but I've seen seemingly more simple ones too. What is necessary, and why do some like the one above look hierarcle.

Jao is offline Senior Member

Well, it would entirely depend on what you specified on the Extension Data. See Extension Data tab on product management page.

My fields are empty, i'm looking to start using them. I'm asking for a little bit of information on how to format the data in there. I've never done this before. Can someone give some examples of how their data is typed in there and what they use it for and why some look hierarcle while others don't?

BFG 9000 is offline Senior Member

It's really just another field in the database table.
    If you can tell us what you want to achieve we can help you more.

TTFN

BFG

Richnyc30 is offline Senior Member

Default Good examples

Check for one thread that had the magic docs. I forget right now but I most likely searched on extension data.

PDGR is offline Junior Member

Not sure if this is what you're asking. If you need to store one piece of additional information about your product then you can just put it in to the Extension Data field and be on your way. If you need to store more than one piece of additional information, you can use valid XML to overload the field. The example you gave is an example of that latter option, but it's not necessary to use XML if you don't want to.

In either case, if you want Extension Data to display on a page, you'll need to modify XML Packages accordingly.

Hope that helps....

I'm wanting to add technical specs to products for sorting search results. like sort by diameter, sort by volume etc. could I just put something like this for each product:

<DIAMETER> 2.100 </DIAMETER>
    <VOLUME> 1000 </VOLUME>

Would I need any other formating or other info there to be able to pull it?

PDGR is offline Junior Member

To store the XML I believe you'll want to do something like:

<ExtensionData>
    <Product>
    <Diameter>2.100</Diameter>
    <Volume>1000</Volume>
    </Product>
    </ExtensionData>

That will at least give you valid xml that you can display via an XML Package. BUT sorting could be tricky unless you plan to use some client-side script to manage that. Sorting with javascript after the data is on the page would be possible but trying to create a SQL statement that would accurately sort on the values in your Extension Data field might be really tricky.

I'll be curious to hear what you come up with.

Thanks PDGR. Now, since this data only applies to some of my product types I sell, is it necessary to specify the product type in there anywhere, or not really?

Is the product extension data stored in the extensiondata column of the product table? I have put data in the extension data fields through the product manager but when I query for them using "select extensiondata from product where productid=62583" i get nothing. I keep going to that product in the manager and it is there.

Jao is offline Senior Member

That's weird. It should be there. See attachments. Please make sure your querying to the correct database.
    Attached Images Attached Images