Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Canonical tag & default.aspx and root duplicate content

werbadmin_user is offline Junior Member

Question Canonical tag & default.aspx and root duplicate content

Hello,

There are two ways to get to the home page of the site

www.domain.com
    www.domain.com/default.aspx

QUESTION: As IIS6 is a pain, to avoid duplicate content issues with SEO etc can we simply place a canonical tag on the page header as below or is there a better way this can be handled in MLv8?

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.domain.com" />

Thanks
    Last edited by werbadmin_user; 11-18-2009 at 04:18 AM.

Question

Hello all,

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Thanks

BFG 9000 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by werbadmin_user View Post
    Hello,

There are two ways to get to the home page of the site

www.domain.com

QUESTION: As IIS6 is a pain, to avoid duplicate content issues with SEO etc can we simply place a canonical tag on the page header as below or is there a better way this can be handled in MLv8?

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.domain.com" />

Thanks
    There are actually loads of ways to get to your homepage :-

www.domain.com
    www.domain.com/
    www.domain.com/Default.aspx
    www.domain.com/DEFAULT.aspx
    www.domain.com/default.aspx?source=advert221
    www.domain.com/default.aspx?affiliateid=10050
    www.domain.com/default.aspx?skinid=1

etc. etc.

What you're suggesting is fine.

taking this a step further, I had an issue whereby some of our pages were indexed by google as (for example) :-

showcategory.aspx?CategoryID=617&SEName=cavilon-skin-care
    showproduct.aspx?ProductID=1517&SEName=scotch-packing-tape-6-x-rolls-with-dispensers-50mm-x-20m
    & we have some pages indexed as https rather than http.
    etc. etc.

I created the following xmlpackage to deal with category & product pages.

HTML Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?>
    <package version="2.1" displayname="BFGs canonical package" debug="false" includeentityhelper="false" allowengine="true">
        <PackageTransform>
            <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" 
                            xmlns:aspdnsf="urn:aspdnsf" exclude-result-prefixes="aspdnsf">
              <xsl:output method="html" omit-xml-declaration="yes" />

<xsl:template match="/">

<xsl:param name="site">http://www.domain.co.uk/</xsl:param>

<xsl:param name="canonical">
    				<xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="/root/System/PageName = 'showcategory.aspx' and boolean(/root/QueryString/pagenum)"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>c-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/categoryid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx?pagenum=<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/pagenum"/></xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="/root/System/PageName = 'showcategory.aspx' and boolean(/root/QueryString/categoryid)"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>c-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/categoryid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx</xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="/root/System/PageName = 'showproduct.aspx' and boolean(/root/QueryString/productid)"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>p-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/productid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx</xsl:when>
    					<xsl:otherwise>0</xsl:otherwise>
    				</xsl:choose>
    			</xsl:param>

<xsl:when test="$canonical != 0">
    <link rel="canonical" href="{$canonical}" />
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise></xsl:otherwise>

</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>
        </PackageTransform>
    </package>
    I simply include this in the <head> section of my template files & it's done.
    It will be trivial to modify it to handle manufacturers, genres, sections etc. if you have a need.

TTFN

BFG

dragon is offline Member

Default Canonical tag question

Hi....If I place the <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.domain.com" /> in the head section of my template and I use that same template on every page of the website is it going to mess up the other pages? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Need Halloween Costumes?
    Don't let your party be a bust because you didn't shop with us!
    HalloweenAndCostumes.com

Probably will!?

What we did was.... use two templates for your site, one for the home page exclusively and one for every other page. Your tag can then sit on the one for your home page.

dragon is offline Member

Has anyone tired the XML Package above? Did it work well for you? Please let me know. Thanks for your time.
    Need Halloween Costumes?
    Don't let your party be a bust because you didn't shop with us!
    HalloweenAndCostumes.com

Ben-LynxSI is offline Member

Dragon: Why don't you try it for yourself? Takes two seconds to add, and two seconds to remove if you don't like it. Your posts seems to ignore the value of other people's time and contributions in a free open forum like this.

FYI, The xml package does work for me on MLv8. The only thing I noticed is that you have the self closing '/' for the canonical tag, but set the package output to "html" instead of "xml". For those of you generating xhtml pages, you should change this accordingly. (I always aim for my pages to validate 100% XHTML transitional).

Thanks BFG9000!

- Ben

EDITED: Found another useful modification. I added
    Code:
    and (/root/QueryString/pagenum > 1)
    to the first rule in the above xml package. This forces pages with '?pagenum=1' to drop the pagenum in the canonical tag. Otherwise we still had the possibility of having the same page render two different canonical tags depending on how you navigated to it (with and without ?pagenum=1).
    Last edited by Ben-LynxSI; 07-05-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Add another mod to drop page 1 from canonical.
    Ben Swayne - C#/ASP.net/jQuery/Ajax/SEO
    Lynx System Integrators Ltd.
    Lynx Live Agent - real-time analytics, live chat and sales software for ASPDotNetStorefront
    My Personal Website

jhoskinson is offline Member

Default XML package works - now how do I make it work for Sections & topic pages?

The above XML package works great for category & product pages. (Thanks! )

I added this to make it work for sections (departments) as well.

I tried adding this for section:

<xsl:when test="/root/System/PageName = 'showsection.aspx' and boolean(/root/QueryString/pagenum) and (/root/QueryString/pagenum > 1)">
    <xsl:value-of select="$site"/>s-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sectionid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx?pagenum=<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/pagenum"/></xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="/root/System/PageName = 'showsection.aspx' and boolean(/root/QueryString/sectionid)">
    <xsl:value-of select="$site"/>s-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sectionid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx</xsl:when>

Now - how do I make it work for Topic pages as well?

Anybody know the answer to this?

suedeapple is offline Member

You could also use a url rewriter to 301 redirect any bogus entrances to your site

www.chocolate.co.uk/default.aspx -> 301 redirects to -> www.chocolate.co.uk

Also plumbed in the canonical xmlpackage as noted above - thanks!

fackourey is offline Member

Default canonicall links

Your xlm code above is a great idea and I basically understand it.

It will be trivial to modify it to handle manufacturers, genres, sections etc. if you have a need.

Let me see if I got this right, I just cut and paste it into the "template.ascx??? I tried it and it didn't crash, but am I missing some thing. Would you mind elaborating on how and where you installed the xml code above.

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Less (much less) than expert coder

Fred

adamroof is offline Junior Member

This is how i did it...

1. Pasted code samples into new xml file (XMLPackages folder) and called it Canonical.xml.config
    2. Added an asp literal to each template.ascx in the head section

Code:
    <head>
        <!-- meta tags here bla bla bla -->
        <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />
        <asp:Literal ID="litCanonical" runat="server" Text="(!XmlPackage Name='Canonical.xml.config'!)" />
         <!-- javascripts here bla bla bla -->
    </head>

gmaniac is offline Member

Default Topic Pages

First of all, thank you all for this it has fixed over 4500 errors on my SEOMoz account. Now to business, I am doing this throught the XMLPackage that was recommended and I have it working for product emailing and email errors. However, I am having trouble getting this to work with topic pages, are there any segustions?

Thank you in advance!

muro01 is offline Junior Member

Default How did you make it work for the email errors?

Quote Originally Posted by gmaniac View Post
    First of all, thank you all for this it has fixed over 4500 errors on my SEOMoz account. Now to business, I am doing this throught the XMLPackage that was recommended and I have it working for product emailing and email errors. However, I am having trouble getting this to work with topic pages, are there any segustions?

Thank you in advance!

How did you make it work for the email errors?
    can you please post the code?

Thank

fsantos is offline Senior Member

Either this does not work with MultiStore 9.3 or I'm doing something wrong... This is the xmlpackage as I'm using it based on the info in this thread:

Code:
    <package version="2.1" displayname="BFGs canonical package" debug="false" includeentityhelper="false" allowengine="true">
        <PackageTransform>
            <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:aspdnsf="urn:aspdnsf" exclude-result-prefixes="aspdnsf"> <xsl:output method="html" omit-xml-declaration="yes" />

<xsl:param name="site">http://www.mydomain.com/</xsl:param>
    				<xsl:when test="(/root/System/PageName = 'showproduct.aspx') and boolean(/root/QueryString/productid)"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>p-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/productid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx</xsl:when>
    				<xsl:when test="(/root/System/PageName = 'showcategory.aspx') and boolean(/root/QueryString/pagenum) and (/root/QueryString/pagenum &gt; 1)"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>c-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/categoryid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx?pagenum=<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/pagenum"/></xsl:when>
    				<xsl:when test="(/root/System/PageName = 'showcategory.aspx') and boolean(/root/QueryString/categoryid)"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>c-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/categoryid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx</xsl:when>
    				<xsl:when test="(/root/System/PageName = 'showsection.aspx') and boolean(/root/QueryString/pagenum) and (/root/QueryString/pagenum &gt; 1)"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>s-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sectionid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx?pagenum=<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/pagenum"/></xsl:when>
    				<xsl:when test="(/root/System/PageName = 'showsection.aspx') and boolean(/root/QueryString/sectionid)"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>s-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sectionid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx</xsl:when> 

<xsl:otherwise>
    			</xsl:otherwise>
        </PackageTransform>
    </package>
    As far as I was able to test, the xmlpackage is running but the test conditions always fail and so the canonical url is always output as an empty string.

What can be wrong here:
    Code:
    <xsl:when test="(/root/System/PageName = 'showsection.aspx') and boolean(/root/QueryString/pagenum) and (/root/QueryString/pagenum &gt; 1)">
    as well as in the other test conditions above?

Thanks for your help!

Fsantos

allenjarosz is offline Junior Member

Default Canonical Tag in storefront V9

Hi guys,
    I have been trying to make BFG's script work in my storefront Version 9.1.0.1
    Cant seem to make it go without crashing the page.
    Andy seems to suggest that I could "cut and paste" this code into the head section of the "Template.Master" file which causes my version 9 page to throw the exception error.
    Later in the forum thread, somone suggests saving the code below in an XML file, then calling the package from a statment in the "Template.Master". I experienced some success here, at least the page dident crash. Only problem was we ended up with plain text on our website display page, and no "Canonical" tag in the source.

Here is that text:

1. Pasted code samples into new xml file (XMLPackages folder) and called it Canonical.xml.config
    2. Added an asp literal to each template.ascx in the head section

Code:
    <head>
    <!-- meta tags here bla bla bla -->
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />
    <asp:Literal ID="litCanonical" runat="server" Text="(!XmlPackage Name='Canonical.xml.config'!)" />
    <!-- javascripts here bla bla bla -->
    </head>

We tried following all these suggestions and still cant seem to get this to work. We went back to our old storefront Version 8.2.3 and tried the same suggestions. And WALA it all works as advertised. almost no effort at all. Just "Cut and Paste"

Our storefront at http://www.davenporttractor.com seems to being peanolized by either Googles "Penguin" or the "Panda" update due to many products being paginated, causing a "duplicate Content" issue.

Any body want to make a few bucks helping us sort this out? I have been working on the project for 3 weeks and other work is realy starting to suffer.

Allen.Jarosz@ual.com

Quote Originally Posted by BFG 9000 View Post
    There are actually loads of ways to get to your homepage :-

www.domain.com
    www.domain.com/
    www.domain.com/Default.aspx
    www.domain.com/DEFAULT.aspx
    www.domain.com/default.aspx?source=advert221
    www.domain.com/default.aspx?affiliateid=10050
    www.domain.com/default.aspx?skinid=1

etc. etc.

What you're suggesting is fine.

taking this a step further, I had an issue whereby some of our pages were indexed by google as (for example) :-

showcategory.aspx?CategoryID=617&SEName=cavilon-skin-care
    showproduct.aspx?ProductID=1517&SEName=scotch-packing-tape-6-x-rolls-with-dispensers-50mm-x-20m
    & we have some pages indexed as https rather than http.
    etc. etc.

I created the following xmlpackage to deal with category & product pages.

HTML Code:
        <PackageTransform>
              <xsl:output method="html" omit-xml-declaration="yes" />

<xsl:when test="/root/System/PageName = 'showcategory.aspx' and boolean(/root/QueryString/pagenum)"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>c-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/categoryid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx?pagenum=<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/pagenum"/></xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="/root/System/PageName = 'showcategory.aspx' and boolean(/root/QueryString/categoryid)"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>c-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/categoryid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx</xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="/root/System/PageName = 'showproduct.aspx' and boolean(/root/QueryString/productid)"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>p-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/productid"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/sename"/>.aspx</xsl:when>

</PackageTransform>
    </package>

TTFN

BFG

GoVedia is offline Member

Default SKin Token

The exception being thrown is most likely due to the invalid Token structure you are using. Skin Tokens have taken a different format with the introduction of version 9. You will need to update your code.

Your version 8 code:
    Code:
    Should look like this in version 9:
    Code:
    <asp:Literal ID="litCanonical" runat="server" Text='<%$ Tokens: XmlPackage, Canonical.xml.config %>' />
    I am purely speculating, considering I have not seen the exception error.
    Robert Kanaan
    AspDotNetStorefront Development Partner
    robert@GoVedia.com
    408-758-8845

GoVedia
    http://GoVedia.com
    Approved AspDotNetStorefront Development Partner
    AspDotNetStorefront Recommended Reseller

allenjarosz is offline Junior Member

Default That helped fix the exception error but?

Quote Originally Posted by GoVedia View Post
    The exception being thrown is most likely due to the invalid Token structure you are using. Skin Tokens have taken a different format with the introduction of version 9. You will need to update your code.

Your version 8 code:
    Code:
    Should look like this in version 9:
    Code:
    <asp:Literal ID="litCanonical" runat="server" Text='<%$ Tokens: XmlPackage, Canonical.xml.config %>' />
    I am purely speculating, considering I have not seen the exception error.
    Thank you so much! that fixed the exception error, but still no progress on the Canonical tag showing up in the source file.
    I know the code you included is working correctly, it calls the XML file from BFG9000 and I'm able to confim that.
    So now the issue is that BFG9000 scriptlet is not posting back the "Conanical" tag information into the source file. Does something else need to be in my "Template.Master" file? perhaps the last few lines of BFG900's script? maybe somthing like this?

I guess I'm not understanding the flow back from the XML snipet.

Please help

I just had a very quick look at this.

It seems that the reason it's failing is that /root/System/PageName is now returning the requested page (p-123.prod-name.aspx) rather than showproduct.aspx & /root/QueryString is being returned completely empty.

I don't have time now to fix it - but it should be fairly easy to pull the first character of /root/System/PageName & use that instead - also should be possible to get the product or category id from somewhere else.

TTFN

BFG

UPDATED for Version 9...

HTML Code:

<query name="Products" rowElementName="Product">
            <sql>
                <![CDATA[
                    SELECT ProductID, Name, SEName FROM Product WHERE ProductID = @ProductID
                ]]>
            </sql>
            <queryparam paramname="@ProductID"       paramtype="request" requestparamname="ProductID"       sqlDataType="int" defvalue="0"  validationpattern="^\d{1,10}$" />
        </query>
        <query name="Categories" rowElementName="Category">
            <sql>
                <![CDATA[
                    SELECT CategoryID, Name, SEName FROM Category WHERE CategoryID = @CategoryID
                ]]>
            </sql>
            <queryparam paramname="@CategoryID"       paramtype="request" requestparamname="CategoryID"       sqlDataType="int" defvalue="0"  validationpattern="^\d{1,10}$" />
        </query>

<PackageTransform>
              <xsl:output method="xml" omit-xml-declaration="yes" />

<xsl:when test="/root/Categories/Category/CategoryID > 0 and (/root/QueryString/pagenum > 1)"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>c-<xsl:value-of select="/root/Categories/Category/CategoryID"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/Categories/Category/SEName"/>.aspx?pagenum=<xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/pagenum"/></xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="/root/Categories/Category/CategoryID > 0"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>c-<xsl:value-of select="/root/Categories/Category/CategoryID"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/Categories/Category/SEName"/>.aspx</xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="/root/Products/Product/ProductID > 0"><xsl:value-of select="$site"/>p-<xsl:value-of select="/root/Products/Product/ProductID"/>-<xsl:value-of select="/root/Products/Product/SEName"/>.aspx</xsl:when>

</PackageTransform>
    </package>

TTFN

BFG

jsimacek is offline Senior Member

Another options is to do it via IIS directly with a rewrite...that way the default.aspx version doesn't even "exist". Contact Jan at jsimacek@compunix.us for a quote/get this done.
    Jan Simacek - Compunix, LLC
    AspDotNetStorefront trusted Devnet Partner and Reseller since 2005

AspDotNetStorefront Mods and Add-Ons at http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/
    - Searching, Filtering and Sorting (like cSearch, Dealer Locator, Price Ranges, Blog)
    - Reports (like Cart Abandonment and Net Sales)
    - Customer Experience (like Question/Answers)
    - Site and Data Management (like Entity Product Mapper, Bulk Updaters, Make/Model/Year filters)