Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Manufacturer in Database

DotNetDevelopments is offline Senior Member

Default Manufacturer in Database

Is there a reason why the manufacturer and product link is held in its own table? I would of figured to have another field on the product table saying manufacturer ID than have a table for showing manufacturer and product IDs.

Thanks.
    =====
    Version (Code/DB): AspDotNetStorefront MSx 9.1.0.1/9.1.0.0
    Execution Mode: 64 Bit
    Dot Net Developments - E-commerce By Experience

Jao is offline Senior Member

I don't exactly get what you mean, but as far as I can see it, you're asking if there's a possibility of just combining the two in one table (or in a simple manner of speaking, including only manufacturer name on the product table and that's it). Well, first thing, database should be normalized, second thing, we have some special cases, where we use Manufacturer details for a particular product, like mapping, audit trails, etc, therefore, relating two tables only by their IDs for a clear and strong structured database. If I got it all wrong, please feel free to elaborate the issue. I'd be willing to extend a helping hand...

DotNetDevelopments is offline Senior Member

There are 3 tables.
    One the products table has product ID
    Two the ProductManufacturer table has the productID and manufacturerID
    Three the Manufacturer table has ManufacturerID

Why not have the products table with the manufacturerID? cut out table two?
    I can't see a logical reason for it been there.
    =====
    Version (Code/DB): AspDotNetStorefront MSx 9.1.0.1/9.1.0.0
    Execution Mode: 64 Bit
    Dot Net Developments - E-commerce By Experience