Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Setting up full text search, but need to manually change the getProducts SP?

rpeters83 is offline Member

Default Setting up full text search, but need to manually change the getProducts SP?

I'm trying to set up full text search on our ver 8.0 site, but the manual says that enabling this will create a new GetProducts procedure. However, we've modified this procedure quite a bit and can't have it replaced. We've mainly added columns but most is still in tact.

How can I manually change our current one to enable FT search? Thanks.

Dusty is offline Member

You're optimal method would be to backup your GetProducts to a text file, proceed with the steps to turn on the full text search. Then export your new GetProducts proc to another text file, compare and merge the two. There are plenty of diff/merging tools available, KDiff3 for example will do this task no problem.

Dusty
    ASPDotNetStorefront Staff

rpeters83 is offline Member

I did that, but when it creates the procedure, it gets rid of ALL the line breaks, causing my diff tool to go crazy.

does anyone know of a way around this? this is driving me nuts that full text isn't a switch variable in the query itself...

amanukian@gmail.com is offline Member

I installed full-text search too and now searching is absolutely messed up. Search results ranking is unpredictable.

anyway. there are plenty of online utilities such as this one http://www.webtoolhub.com/tn561390-r...ne-breaks.aspx that allow you to replace characters such as tabs, multispaces, line breaks etc.

I use utility Beyond Compare (eval is free for unlimited time) to compare text files

bad news - if you make both prod and test versions "flat" NO text utility will be able to compare these as all of the utilities are bad comparing long strings
    RMan

Wink

i thought about it a little more - solution i have (requires some coding) is to find all spaces in the flat (1 line version) of the stored procedure and replace each space with line break for both versions prod and test. now save both files as text files. compare utility can search better now as it searches better if compares short line to short line... and inserts empty lines in both sides of the utility to align the code (to hilight differences in the files)! Ha!! i think it should work what you think? you can run a basic vb script or something to find all spaces and replace them with line breaks
    ~:>
    Last edited by amanukian@gmail.com; 10-30-2009 at 08:44 PM.
    RMan

ok i just tried - works perfect for me comparing GetProducts versions 7 and 8 (full-text search applied) !

here is what i did:
    1 - get a prod version (with line breaks) and use that online utility i posted before. replace all line breaks and spaces and tabs with multi line mode. this will create a long string for your prod SP
    2 - copy and paste into notepad -- lets call it prod.txt
    3 - get text for SP version from test (it is already a long string) and save it to test.txt
    4 - in both files prod.txt and test.txt do Find/Replace single space char ' ' with <br>
    5 - saved both as html files: prod.html and test.html
    6 - open both with any browser you use - it will be displayed with line breaks
    7 - delete all text from both prod.TXT and test.TXT, Select All from browsers for prod.HTML and test.HTML and copy and paste into prod.TXT and test.TXT
    8 - now you have two text files with 1 single word on each line. use Beyond Compare utility to compare the text files. it will highlight you the chunks of code you customized

hope it works for you.
    RMan