Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: iis7 and windows authentication

aharpham is offline Junior Member

Default iis7 and windows authentication

Just setting up our first site on a dedicated windows 2008 server and have run into a problem.

The security guidelines suggests to use Windows Athentication on the admin directory, However documentation on IIS says that you cannot use both "challenged-based" and "login redirect-based" authentication together.

If I try to disable the "Forms Based" login, it says it is read-only.

The manual is a little unclear about enabling windows based authentication. I am not sure if you leave the "Forms Based" login enabled, since it says that after you authenticate with the windows based authentication you will be directed to the admin login page.

If that is correct, how do you do it on IIS7 ?

Thanks, Allen

Jao is offline Senior Member

Yes, it should work on IIS7 but you have to make sure that the Pipeline is set to Classic instead of Integrated mode and that's it...

aharpham is offline Junior Member

I have it set in Classic mode.

Can someone clear up something for me? Is it possible to use Windows Authentication mode if the server is a stand alone server?

It I change it to Basic Athentication, it prompts for a userid/password and when a local user on the server is entered, it then takes you to the adnsf login, which I believe is how it is designed. However, if I use Windows Authentication, it prompts for the userid/password, but never accepts it and gives me a 4625 error in the event log.

Thanks, Allen

MarkC is offline Developer

Authentication mode is Forms by design, Windows authentication is not natively supported.
    Although someone did try to use Windows based authentication.
    Take a look at this thread:
    http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.co...ad.php?t=18401