Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Deleting .NET temporay files

Stuarty is offline Junior Member

Default Deleting .NET temporay files

Hello,

I contacted support yesterday (ticket #OEJ-521938) regarding a compilation error caused by a change to Template.Base. This works fine on my local machine and the local machine at support.

Scott wrote back as follows:

" That's a common error in .NET apps when you replace site files while the site is running. All you have to do is stop the site, delete the .NET temp files, and restart the site.

As stated before, we cannot assist with customization-related issues, so any further questions along these lines or other issues you run into with your modifications will need to be directed to the forums at http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.com
    "

I don't have access to the .NET temp files on my shared hosing service but I have contacted the hosts who have asked me to contact you to confirm that:

"the temp files ASPDOTNETSTOREFRONT support says need to be removed are in:
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Tempo rary ASP.NET Files
    or are they in:
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temp orary ASP.NET Files"

Very grateful for your help,

Stuart

Stuarty is offline Junior Member

Default Solution Found!

I’ve now got a solution for this, thankfully.
    Just to recap on the original problem:

I had modified the templatebase.cs code behind file in order to include several vertical componentart menus. Despite this woking on my local machine, I was getting the following compilation error on the live site:

Code:
    Compilation Error 
    Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. 

Compiler Error Message: CS0101: The namespace 'AspDotNetStorefront' already contains a definition for 'TemplateBase'

Source Error:

Line 29:     ///		so users can create new skins WITHOUT having to recompile, or even have VS.NET, etc...
    Line 30:     /// </summary>
    Line 31:     public class TemplateBase : System.Web.UI.UserControl
    Line 32:     {
    Line 33: 

Source File: d:\Domains\trustytoys.co.uk\wwwroot\App_Code\Copy Of TemplateBase.cs    Line: 31

Here's what he problem was:

I had kept a copy of the untouched templatebase.cs file, renamed copy of templatebase.cs in the app_code folder, in case I ever wanted to revert to the out-of-the-box menu layout. However, as the original file and the copy were in the same directory, the application was getting confused as to which one to use.
    The *SHOW DETAILED COMPILER OUTPUT* section on the error message contained the pertinent information:

Code:
    d:\Domains\trustytoys.co.uk\wwwroot\App_Code\Copy Of TemplateBase.cs(31,18): error CS0101: The namespace 'AspDotNetStorefront' already contains a definition for 'TemplateBase'
    d:\Domains\trustytoys.co.uk\wwwroot\App_Code\templatebase.cs(31,18): (Location of symbol related to previous error)

The solution was simply to delete the copy of templatebase.cs and the site started working.

All credit goes to Hans Solomon at Applied Innovations where the site is hosted for figuring this out.

Regards,

Stuart
    www.trustytoys.co.uk