Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Attaching pdf files

newtothis is offline Senior Member

Default Attaching pdf files

Hello,

Does anyone know if its possible to attach a pdf file to a product so that it appears as a link if the customer needs to get additional information?

Many thanks

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

That's possible. Go to the product manager's page in the admin, select the product, and upload the pdf file using the 'Document Manager' icon from the Rad Editor. You could do that either in the Summary or Description tab.

Alternately, you could also invoke a HTML link to wherever page you want the downloadable link to display.

e.g.
    Code:
    <a href="download/filename.pdf">Additional Product Specs</a>

HomeIndoor is offline Member

Question How to add .pdf in bulk?

Got a question regarding this method

<a href="download/filename.pdf">Additional Product Specs</a>

how would you recommend upload thousands of products files?

One way I figured out but might result in the product description appearing incorrectly

can take the file name and use the concatenate option in sql or excel
    so
    column 1 would have <a href="
    column2 would have download/filename.pdf
    column3 would have ">Additional Product Specs</a>

The risk with this is that if your products are designed to appear a certain way, you will have this lone link on the bottom of the page.

Could you recommend another option?

Jao is offline Senior Member

WSI would be the right tool for you: WSI

HomeIndoor is offline Member

Lightbulb Not a fan of WSI

I find WSI as a very difficult tool to use. I have had several developers take a look at this tool and nobody wants to touch it with a 10 foot pole. Granted their are a few merchants on this forum that have figured out how to use this tool.

What I do not understand is adnsf is designed to handles upwards of 100,000 products, so then why is it that to upload more than 1500 lines this is not possible. And do not say use WSI, because it clearly says that for uploads with more than a 1000 items, the file update might not work

"You could issue probably a thousand inventory updates on one call if you need. "

Fact is the developers should really have simplified the process involved in uploading new products, updating inventory and making any other changes needed to the sku or it's variants.

If you are looking to promote this WSI tool then why not develop a stand alone application not just put in vb and now we need to compile it.

I am sure I am not the only person on this boards that wishes this application would be more user friendly.

Also please keep in mind if your products are stored in a sql database, it is simply easier to do a table to table transfer and map out the category id to their respected product id and map out the remaining columns.

My point is this, if this back end software is designed to handle more than 100,000 products, why is it so hard to upload more than 1500 products to the storefront?