Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: w3c Markup Validation

donttryathome is offline Senior Member

Default w3c Markup Validation

I am attempting to validate our site using the w3c markup validation service.

Most topics I have been able to validate, except for the hometopintro topic.

Somehow, on this topic, and this topic only, extra tags are being inserted at the end of the topic.

Code:
    <br><br>
    I can't find where the two linebreaks are being inserted, they don't exist in my topic code.

I'm pretty sure the two extra linebreaks are causing the rest of the validation errors. The rest of my topics validate fine.

Why is this happening and is there anything I can do to get my front page to pass validation?

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...e&group=0&ss=1
    Last edited by donttryathome; 10-21-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Fixed which code seems to be causing the issue

BFG 9000 is offline Senior Member

You could use a different template for your homepage.
    Make a duplicate of your existing template.ascx file & call it templatehome.ascx

In the duplicate, replace this :-

C#/VB.NET Code:
    <asp:PlaceHolder ID="PageContent" runat="server"></asp:PlaceHolder
    with this :-

C#/VB.NET Code:
    (!TOPIC Name="hometopintro"!) 
    Then set appconfig HomeTemplate to templatehome.ascx

You should be done.

TTFN

BFG

Worked great, many thanks!

As a side note:

After implementing this change I found that changes to the new skin file only apply to default.aspx.

All other topics/categories/products still use the default (template.aspx) file, creating a situation where both files need to be updated when making skinning changes.