Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Looking to develop a WSI application

HomeIndoor is offline Member

Default Looking to develop a WSI application

We are looking for a dev. partnet to create a WSI application for us.
    Our company will have over 50,000 product sku's. We recently started uploading 27,000 items and realilzed the hardway the the file limit is set to 4mb by default. After doing some reading, and made some changes as I was shown, I increased the file size.

This did not seem to accomplish anything. After doing some further reading, we discovered that the inventory feed should be broken into no more than 1500 lines per file. No problem a little sql and the file gets broken down into sets of 1250 just to be safe.

The problem with this method is that we now have to upload 26 different files which does take some time, especially when we sell on different marketing channels and are updating our inventory several times a day. So after reading and reading some more, we realized that what we are looking to accomplish needs to be done using this WSI interface. This is not an area that we currently understand. Do not get me wrong, with a little time, and effort, this service could be better understood. Unfortionatly time is something we really do not hav.

With that that, we are looking for a dev. partner or somebody that understands how this service works, to help us create an application that will allow us to
    update prices, update inventory ( simple inventory) & upload new products. If this application can take advantage of any additional features this would be appreciated but really these are the areas that we mainly need this service for.

Feel free to get in contact with me so that we can negotiate a fair price for this tool.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by HomeIndoor; 10-19-2009 at 08:20 PM.

kbarkhausen is offline Junior Member

Default Windows App to update ASPDNSF

I am writing a Windows App that I will be using to update an ASPDNSF that is being hosted in a Cloud hosting environment.

The app can accomplish what you wish but it does not use WSI. It talks to any database (remote or local) via an Entity Framework Data Access Layer.

Reason not to use WSI:
    - For large updates I don't believe that WSI offers the required functionality.

This Windows app can:
    - Run on any computer (the server or a remote PC)
    - Can be schedule to run by feeding it the parameters via command line params
    - Create new products and variants
    - Remove product or variants not included in your data feed
    - Create new product categories/subcategories based on your feed
    - Move products to new categories based on your data feed
    - Remove categories from the catalog that no longer contain any products
    - Set the proper XmlTemplate on categories based on their product content
    - and more...

Benefits of using Entity Framework:

1) I am able to run the batch update process without making any database changes. It will simply report what changes will occur if I do decide to run the update process and commit the changes to the database.

This allows me to verify that the proposed changes that will be performed by the update are correct.

2) I can easily switch database targets with a drop-down. This allows me to test the update process against the development server, then with the staging server and (if everything runs OK) I can then update my production store.

Getting all of the required relationships to be accurately updated is the hardest part of this development.

mikecali is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HomeIndoor View Post
    We are looking for a dev. partnet to create a WSI application for us.
    Our company will have over 50,000 product sku's. We recently started uploading 27,000 items and realilzed the hardway the the file limit is set to 4mb by default. After doing some reading, and made some changes as I was shown, I increased the file size.

This did not seem to accomplish anything. After doing some further reading, we discovered that the inventory feed should be broken into no more than 1500 lines per file. No problem a little sql and the file gets broken down into sets of 1250 just to be safe.

The problem with this method is that we now have to upload 26 different files which does take some time, especially when we sell on different marketing channels and are updating our inventory several times a day. So after reading and reading some more, we realized that what we are looking to accomplish needs to be done using this WSI interface. This is not an area that we currently understand. Do not get me wrong, with a little time, and effort, this service could be better understood. Unfortionatly time is something we really do not hav.

With that that, we are looking for a dev. partner or somebody that understands how this service works, to help us create an application that will allow us to
    update prices, update inventory ( simple inventory) & upload new products. If this application can take advantage of any additional features this would be appreciated but really these are the areas that we mainly need this service for.

Feel free to get in contact with me so that we can negotiate a fair price for this tool.

Thank you in advance
    We are in need of the very exact thing! Please let me know what you hear.

mbertulli is offline Senior Member

We've built a number of WSI based integrations for clients to do product and inventory updates. These integrations vary in size and scope and some of them deal with the problems of massive volumes like you are seeing (chunking data out).

If you'd like more information or want to chat, please feel free to contact me.
    Matthew Bertulli
    Demac Media
    mbertulli@demacmedia.com
    Custom Web Design & E-Commerce Development
    AspDotNetStoreFront Platinum DevNet Partner
    ----

Custom Skinning & Design
    Web Services Integration
    Custom Reporting
    Salesforce.com eCommerce AspDotNetStoreFront Integration