Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Now In:

diveloper is offline Member

Default Now In:

ML8
    When on the home page, it says by default:
    Now In: Welcome to (my site)
    I found in template.ascx where it calls for "SECTION_TITLE"
    Where can I edit the info for the home page only?
    All other pages are fine to say Now In: Accounting (for instance when they navigate away from the home page), but for the Home page to say: Now In: Welcome to "MyWebsite.com", sounds silly, especially the "Now In: Welcome to" part, I want it to say for the home page only Now In: Home Page.

Any help is appreciated, i searched forums for "Now In, "Welcome to" and "SECTION_TITLE", with negative results.

Jao is offline Senior Member

On the {root}/default.aspx.cs, change this line:
    Code:
    SectionTitle = String.Format(AppLogic.GetString("default.aspx.1", SkinID, ThisCustomer.LocaleSetting), AppLogic.AppConfig("StoreName"));
    To:
    Code:
    SectionTitle = AppLogic.AppConfig("StoreName");
    and that's it...

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Question Puzzled?

ML8
    1 more issue with the "Now In:"
    root>skins>skin_1>template.aspx
    specifically in the div id(equals)breadcrumb
    when navigating to a product with a long name, for instance product name "Batten Automotive - John Batten"
    It looks like this in IE, the last word "Batten" drops down to the bottom left:
    ----
    "Search Bar"
    "Now In: Automotive → Batten Automotive - John
    Batten"
    -----

I tried a few things in styles.css>breadcrumbs to include:
    width: 100%;
    width: auto;
    width: 500px;
    clear: both;
    clear: right;
    needless to say none of these worked...

Also in FF or Safari it does not force the last word "Batten" to the next line, instead it creates a whole new empty space between the "search" and the "now in:", dropping the entire site below the search bar area about 30px. Like this:
    -----
    "Search Bar"

"Now In: Automotive → Batten Automotive - John Batten"
    -----

Where as a if the name is shorter it looks like this:
    -----
    "Search Bar"
    "Now In: Automotive → Batten Automotive"
    -----

I am trying to allow the div id(equals)breadcrumb "Now In: Automotive → Batten Automotive - John Batten" to utilize all the empty space to the right of it.
    this the default style:
    #breadcrumb
    {
    float: left;
    color: #444;
    }

Any ideas?
    Last edited by diveloper; 10-19-2009 at 09:20 AM.

fusionconnex is offline Member

For the Breadcrumb navigation I did a few things.

For one I created a separate template for the home page and removed the call for the Breadcrumb navigation. I just didn't see a need to tell people they were at the home pages.

Secondly on the template for all other pages I included a permanent link back to the home page. The breadcrumbs did not lead back at any point and I wanted o have an easy path pack for users...

<div id="breadcrumb">Now In: <a href="/default.aspx" title="Return to the Home Page">Home</a> &rarr; (!SECTION_TITLE!)</div>

As far as the wrapping - I would imagine it is due to the floated div and its container element or other elements next to it. Look at the width of it's containing element and see if that helps. Or check to see what elements are inline with it. I can't really help more than that as my I am using custom templates that does not need to have a float for the breadcrumb section.

My css for the breadcrumb looks like this....
    #breadcrumb{ height: 2em; line-height: 1.6em; color: #999; font-size: 77%; padding-left: .5em; padding-top:.3em; }

So I am able to fit quite a trail in the breadcrumb as it spans the entire width of the site, 940px or so wide, here is an example

Now In: Home → Cables → Networking Cables → Category 5/5e Cables → Cat 5 Cable, Crossover, 100 ohm, RJ45M-to-RJ45M, 3.3 ft (1 m)
    Last edited by fusionconnex; 10-19-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fusionconnex View Post
    For the Breadcrumb navigation I did a few things.

For one I created a separate template for the home page and removed the call for the Breadcrumb navigation. I just didn't see a need to tell people they were at the home pages.

Secondly on the template for all other pages I included a permanent link back to the home page. The breadcrumbs did not lead back at any point and I wanted o have an easy path pack for users...

<div id="breadcrumb">Now In: <a href="/default.aspx" title="Return to the Home Page">Home</a> &rarr; (!SECTION_TITLE!)</div>

As far as the wrapping - I would imagine it is due to the floated div and its container element or other elements next to it. Look at the width of it's containing element and see if that helps. Or check to see what elements are inline with it. I can't really help more than that as my I am using custom templates that does not need to have a float for the breadcrumb section.

My css for the breadcrumb looks like this....
    #breadcrumb{ height: 2em; line-height: 1.6em; color: #999; font-size: 77%; padding-left: .5em; padding-top:.3em; }

So I am able to fit quite a trail in the breadcrumb as it spans the entire width of the site, 940px or so wide, here is an example

Now In: Home → Cables → Networking Cables → Category 5/5e Cables → Cat 5 Cable, Crossover, 100 ohm, RJ45M-to-RJ45M, 3.3 ft (1 m)
    Thanks, Thanks, Thanks, for that information! Do you mind sharing the link to your website so I can see it in action? You can Private Message me here at the forums if you don't want it public. I am going to avoid making any major custom skin changes, I am waiting for ML9 to do that.

Richnyc30 is offline Senior Member

Default Secret of Breadcrumb wrapping

A couple of things need doing:
    1. In style.css in the skin, separate breadcrumbs from minicart and other things on the same line. #breadcumbes was in three places in style.css. One being the "a" sub-class, but I separated the combined one and put in one place so I could treat the breadcrumbs field width as an indidivdual class.
    2. Add width: 700px; to the class. You can use up to the width of the outdside pane.
    3. Check what has happened by giving the Breadcrumb DIV some color
    background-color: #F6F5F5;
    4. in template.ascx, comment out the lines for foreign currency. around line 80, the <div> to </div> as it takes a line whether it shows or not and blank lines serve little purpose above the breadcrumbs.
    5. I took out the "Now In" text to lower clutter. People know what breadcrumbs are these days. It's in template.ascx.
    Now I have lots of room for breadcrumbs without it wrapping.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richnyc30 View Post
    A couple of things need doing:
    1. In style.css in the skin, separate breadcrumbs from minicart and other things on the same line. #breadcumbes was in three places in style.css. One being the "a" sub-class, but I separated the combined one and put in one place so I could treat the breadcrumbs field width as an indidivdual class.
    2. Add width: 700px; to the class. You can use up to the width of the outdside pane.
    3. Check what has happened by giving the Breadcrumb DIV some color
    background-color: #F6F5F5;
    4. in template.ascx, comment out the lines for foreign currency. around line 80, the <div> to </div> as it takes a line whether it shows or not and blank lines serve little purpose above the breadcrumbs.
    5. I took out the "Now In" text to lower clutter. People know what breadcrumbs are these days. It's in template.ascx.
    Now I have lots of room for breadcrumbs without it wrapping.

Richard
    Richard, I will try that! Now that makes a lot of sense.
    I appreciate the help, thank you.

fusionconnex is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by diveloper View Post
    Thanks, Thanks, Thanks, for that information! Do you mind sharing the link to your website so I can see it in action? You can Private Message me here at the forums if you don't want it public. I am going to avoid making any major custom skin changes, I am waiting for ML9 to do that.
    Sure - the site is still being developed but you can see it here

http://stage.vnetek.com - this has no bread crumb.

http://stage.vnetek.com/s-407-instan...firewalls.aspx - this shows the breadcrumbs a few levels deep.

Quote Originally Posted by fusionconnex View Post
    Sure - the site is still being developed but you can see it here

http://stage.vnetek.com - this has no bread crumb.

http://stage.vnetek.com/s-407-instan...firewalls.aspx - this shows the breadcrumbs a few levels deep.
    Nice job so far. Custom skin looks great.