Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: reducing the size of the database

dhs is offline Member

Default reducing the size of the database

Hello,

we are having a problem with the size of our database. It is just about 1gb after our host ran a shrink db on it. We could not run the monthly maintenance because it would time out. Our host was able to do this and it ballooned the size of the database significantly (500Mb). This put us over a size limit and another shrink was needed but that just brought us down to the 1Gb size.

I am puzzled by the growth with the maintenance, I believe that was supposed to make it smaller. Especially since we are on the simple back-up scenario with MSSQL 2005.

I am wondering if this growth is to be expected and what, if anything, can be done to avoid when running the maintenance.

What tables should old data be cleared out of as a normal course of doing business?

thank you

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Sounds like the transactions aren't being committed, so the log is getting huge after as many operations as the maintenance does. I would check with the host to have them correct that.