Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: trying to build and run locally

adamroof is offline Junior Member

Default trying to build and run locally

Hi all,

I was able to build and run the c# source code in VS2008 at home on my Vista box and i was able to get the site to open up on localhost, but now at work on my XP box i cant get the site running although it is the same code from our source control that worked fine on Vista.

I can't seem to get by a null exception in the AppConfigTable (SendEMailOnApplicationError is the reported issue). I added that to the AppConfig table but get the same error.

I have double checked the web.config for my database connection, but it seems it isnt loading the AppConfigTable at all.

Code:
    System.NullReferenceException was unhandled by user code
      Message="Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
      Source="AspDotNetStorefrontCore"
      StackTrace:
           at AspDotNetStorefrontCore.AppLogic.AppConfig(String paramName)
           at AspDotNetStorefrontCore.AppLogic.AppConfigBool(String paramName)
           at AspDotNetStorefront.Global.tlZJ6YWeY(Object , EventArgs )
           at AspDotNetStorefront.Global.Application_Error(Object sender, EventArgs e)
           at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
           at System.Web.HttpApplication.RaiseOnError()
      InnerException:
    Am i not loading the site correctly into VS? Am i not building in the correct order? I haven't changed anything in the solution from the working home build.

heres the url that comes up, but never displays the content...
    http://localhost:49683/Web/default.aspx

Thanks for any pointers

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Make sure the DBConn line in the web.config is correct for the XP machine, sounds like the software just can't connect to the database.

adamroof is offline Junior Member

Here's sumpin funny...

i changed <add key="DBConn" to <add key="DBConns" and ran the site so it gave me a ConnectionString not initialized error, which confirmed its hittin the DB

changed it back to <add key="DBConn", rebuild, and then gave me a missing DLL error for GemBox spreadsheet, added manually, then error for URLrewriter dll, added that manually, now the site loads.

Dont know why it was throwing the AppConfig error, but adding those two DLL's worked.

SO... i will have to check source control to see why those dll's werent included, or if they even were at home, which if the site ran, should be.

MarkC is offline Developer

One thing to note is SendEMailOnApplicationError is an obsolete/unsupported appconfig. We have better error handling facilities provided on the next major release of ML.

That appconfig is being checked on the global application error handler, so the error you got, like those missing dlls, occured before connecting to the database and before the appconfig cache got initialized that's why it threw that error.