Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Gift Card Serial Number

smg2 is offline Member

Default Gift Card Serial Number

Is there anything sacred about the serial number generated with a gift card? Can I change it (shorten) without any repercussions? Thanks in advance!

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

There shouldn't be any problems with changing those.

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

Just make sure the numbers are unique and not easily guessed... Eg. a sequential number would not be a good idea, since if I have card number 12345, I could probably guess 12346 and 12347 pretty easily, and use other peoples' gift cards.

tjfdownsouth is offline Junior Member

Is there a way to have the email gift card issue something other than a guid? I see where manually i can set it to what ever i want but when then cart generates it is a little long.

Thanks,
    Tim

Jao is offline Senior Member

Well, you could create an email-type gift card on the Admin: Gift Card Management and change the serial number field to your desired series of character instead of using the auto-generated GUID...

tjfdownsouth is offline Junior Member

Is there a way to automate this or does this require the source to modify the routine?

Tim

Jao is offline Senior Member

Well, yes, that would require a modification on the GiftCard class, instead of using GUID, you could use the built-in Random class...