Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: New to aspdotnetsf looking for guidance

donttryathome is offline Senior Member

Default New to aspdotnetsf looking for guidance

We were finally given complete access to a site we had developed recently. Now that the site is in our hands I would like to learn how to make updates to the appearance of the site myself instead of paying another company to do simple updates.

I'm having a hard time determining which files contain the html code used to display the "front page" of our site.

I understand that in template.aspx the page content is being called from the code <asp:PlaceHolder ID="PageContent" runat="server"></asp:PlaceHolder>

17. You will have one more critical line in your skin template. This line tells the store
    where to put the “contents” (the main page content block) for the page. This
    content varies by whatever is being shown. It could be a category listing, a
    product page, the shopping cart page, a checkout page, etc. So each page has a
    content block that is rendered into this line in the file:

<asp:placeholder id="PageContent" runat="server"></asp:placeholder>
    If you forget to put that placeholder into your template, no store “content” will be
    displayed.
    How do I determine where the content code for "a category listing, a
    product page, the shopping cart page, a checkout page, etc" is being stored?

I am not new to programming, and I know some about asp/xml, but I am still finding myself a little lost as to how this software works.

Are there any "getting started" resources on the internet that explain how aspdotnetsf operates at a basic level?
    Last edited by donttryathome; 09-17-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: clarification

dnbriden is offline Junior Member

I am trying to learn all of this as well. Have you looked at the object heirarchy overview diagram? This is located here

http://manual.aspdotnetstorefront.com/default.aspx

Look at the other resources section in the lower right corner of the page.

Good luck.