Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Source Control

IronDonut is offline Member

Default Source Control

I wanted to get opinions on source control schemes from other storefront developers.

Do you typically check in an entire store project or selected directories. It seems like checking in all of the files that make up the website would be overkill.

mmcgeachy is offline Senior Member

How I have source control setup to the entire solution. The reason being is when upgrading you never know when you might accidentally lose a modification you have done while upgrading to a new version. I will note however I have a ignore/filter on the images folders some files. For example xml, xls, sql, and xsl files are in this ignore list since they are debug files in this case.

I use the ankhsvn plug-in to make very quick and easy commits many files at once.

That is briefly how I have things setup not saying it the best fit for everyone...
    Last edited by mmcgeachy; 08-24-2009 at 09:26 AM.

George the Great is offline Senior Member

I would recommend the entire solution, including images. You don't always need to update everything there, but 3 years down the road if something goes wrong AND you lose your backups (the chance is minimal...but these things do happen) then at least you have a copy somewhere that you can use to keep yourself from having to redo everything (redundancy is key anytime you're doing anything on the web).

This also helps if you need to create a list of modifications that have been made (by just looking at files that have been modified since the original upload of the files), plus by uploading everything you always have a copy of the original software to fall back on should you somehow lose what you have.
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

Kman is offline Junior Member

I typically put most files in source control but not images. I do however backup completely to NAS daily at the end of the work day. So have both in case needed.
    Regards,
    Kim(Kman)
    www.toocoolwebs.com