Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Product order on category page

jeskey is offline Junior Member

Default Product order on category page

Is there a way to order the products on a category page besides adding a sort order field to the product table and modifying the SP?

Thanks

Jao is offline Senior Member

You could use the entity.tableorderform.xml.config as the Category's Display Format XmlPackage value. It's a category-based xmlpackage designed to enable shopping directly from the entity/category page.

When I said "order" the products, I meant the display order on the screen. "Blue Widget", then "Red Widget", ...

You could sort them using the Display Order.

George the Great is offline Senior Member

Yeah...use the built in Display Order field. It controls which order the products are displayed in. To get to the edit page, go into the admin section select the category to which the products belong to, click the Products tab, then click the Display Order link. You'll be taken to a page where you can set the display order for the products; use 1 for the product you want to display first and work your way numerically forward with the highest number being the last product you want in the list. Then click the Order Update (not the Update) button.
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

I did not know this feature was there.

However I have 6 products in my category. When I go to the display order tab for that category, nothing is listed. There is a message that says "This category has no sub-Catagories", thats it.

George the Great is offline Senior Member

Don't use the Display Order tab. Go to the Products tab and click the Display Order link.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

Perfect - Thank you.

supert is offline Junior Member

Default Bulk Fix Order Display

Hello,

I'm trying to see if there is a way to make bulk updates to the display order for products. Right now, the order is all mixed up and for some reason the display order says 1 on everything. We are currently using ASPDNSF through ChannelAdvisor.

1) How is this order determined?

2) How is the default variant chosen?

3) How can we make a bulk upload to fix the display order - with thousands and thousands of products, it is not efficient to manually update these one by one.

Thanks.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Display order is modified at the category level with the 'Display Order' link George showed above, as explained in the manual. That'll allow you to do whole categories in one shot, it shouldn't take that long.

As for how that's determined by default, all products are set to 1 and then displayed alphabetically

The products we sell are set up by sizes - right now the sizes are all out of order for each product. With thousands and thousands of products, it will make it difficult to sort each one within the SAP. Is there an easier and more time efficient way to do this?

I'm only trying to sort the display (sizes) within each product not the categories.

Thanks!

What XMLpackage you're using? Let's start from here.

Sorry, I'm not the web developer so bear with me please. Where do I find that information? Thanks.
    Last edited by supert; 10-21-2009 at 08:49 AM.

If you have the access to the Admin panel, please check the value of the Display Format XmlPackage field on the Product Management page. Or run this script if you have access to your database:
    Code:
    select XmlPackage from Product where ProductID = #

entity.grid.xml.config

Hi Jao,

Anymore info about how we can do this in a bulk/efficient manner? If it helps, we are using Channel Advisor as well. But all they told me was to do it 1 by 1 which doesn't make sense. Thanks.