Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: localhost license on dev

joellevy is offline Junior Member

Default localhost license on dev

We had set our dev license to localhost (on an internal server) when we first purchased ML 7.0.2.1. When we had other people inside our company access the system for testing, no problem. We have since upgraded to 7.1.x.x. Now, as per the KB article, they get the "unlicensed" message. Not a big deal for them to see the message, but the KB article mentions a "reduced functionality set". What is "reduced"?

Thanks.

MelanieA is offline Junior Member

When your site is unlicensed, the site does not work 100% as expected since there are features and configurations that are being disabled or will not work as expected. We do strongly recommend to always have your site license activated and updated in order to avoid having an unlicensed site.

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

There are 3 licenses .. dev, staging and prod.

Your environment for testing should really be the staging license. The dev license is the environment where things are, well, being developed and really not the point where people should be testing on.

Do you have a staging environment?

joellevy is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. We do having a staging environment, but we reserve that for purely staging and for environment testing. We like to keep staging as pristine and as close to production as possible. We prefer not to clutter it with user testing that then has to be scrubbed before release. That is done in our QA environment. Most of our applications (storefront is just a small, but important, piece of the our business) go through 4 environments: dev, qa, staging, prod. Since we have only 3 licenses, user acceptance testing happens in dev.

Anyway, a couple of housekeeping items. Thanks again for the replies. I received a private email with my answer from Scott. I appreciate that. I also owe Melanie an apology. I swear I cancelled my snarky reply. Maybe it was a case of "how dare she send a smiley on a Monday morning".

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

I agree, 4 license would be ideal.

DEV, SIT, UAT, PROD

factorite is offline Junior Member

Default Dev license Visual Studio

What's a best practice for a dev license when using Visual Studio?

Is it optimal to set the dev server as http://localhost:1234/?

Usually I use the built-in Cassini Web Server that comes with VS.

What if you want to change the port used? I guess you can't, right?

I'd love to see a best practices section in dealing with setting up aspdnsf with Visual Studio.
    Last edited by factorite; 11-26-2009 at 02:20 PM.