Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Help with migration to dev server

deanfp is offline Senior Member

Default Help with migration to dev server

Hi

I'm a newbie to StoreFront and wondered if anyone could shed some light on some questions.

We currently have Storefront SQL database hosted on a third party server and we use the standard website login to administrate our site.

We have purchased a designated server to host the website files and database files ourselves and would like to test this before it goes live.

My plan is to firstly copy the SQL files to the new server and then point Storefront to the new server in order to test. However my questions are, and sorry if they sound a bit dumb

Do I need a new licence in order to test the db on the new server? (Our current licence points to the current live server)
    Would I need to install anything on the new server except the SQL database files?
    Is there a simple guide to installation?

I'm using version 7.0.1 and have so far found it a rather simple product to use. Just not to sure about the installation!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mbertulli is offline Senior Member

Hey Dean,

You just need a license key file for the new server domain. With your purchase of ASPDNSF you get 3 license keys, one for each of the following:

1. Local development
    2. Staging server
    3. production (www.yourstorename.com)

As for installation on the new server. You need to install the database + the site, pretty much the same way you did the install on your local development server.

The ASPDNSF manuals have guides for fresh-installation but I don't believe there is anything in there about migration. Someone from ASPDNSF might be able to provide more info. on that though.
    Matthew Bertulli
    Demac Media
    mbertulli@demacmedia.com
    Custom Web Design & E-Commerce Development
    AspDotNetStoreFront Platinum DevNet Partner
    ----

Custom Skinning & Design
    Web Services Integration
    Custom Reporting
    Salesforce.com eCommerce AspDotNetStoreFront Integration

Thank you that is really useful advice.

Hi

Is is possible to transfer either the dev or staging licence? I only seem to have option to transfer the production licence over.

Mike The Last Boyscout is offline User

To have new license keys created for you, you'll have to submit a ticket to our support team with information on why you're changing the key, as well as the domain/IPs that the old keys are currently on and what they will be changed to. You may submit the ticket by going to https://support.aspdotnetstorefront.com/ and clicking the "submit a ticket" link.

Our support team will be able to assist you from there!

Will do!

Many thanks

Hi

I'm not getting much joy out of the support tickets. They are saying I need to purchase assitional incident reports which, I'm afraid, I don't have the budget to do right now so I am going to have to rely on myself trying to resolve this issue.

I have now managed to install the development key, unpacked the SQL .bak file and linked everything via SQL Studio and IIS.

I've noticed that there are no migration instructions with AspDotNetStorefront, just installation instructions so have followed these accordingly.

Everything seems fine but I still cannot see either the website or access StoreFront (signin.aspx) on the dev server.

I think the error maybe in the web.config file. Can I ask if I should be using the server IP or the server name in that file? Really confused and just want to start testing!

10/9/09 - Update. Started from Scratch. Seeing this as a really good challenge to get my teeth into as I have never done a SQL migration before.

So far I have -

Downloaded the Dev Key
    Downloaded the licence and installed to C drive
    Imported a .BAK SQL File
    Resoted the SQL database
    Added a new Visual Directory with IIS
    Changed the permissions on the Web/Images file to allow Network System to have full permissions

This evening I am going to try and get my teeth into changing the web.config file and then hopefully connecting. Will be aided by some beers so hope it goes well

Thanks for all the support so far. Don't think I would have got this far without this wonderful forum.
    Thanks

Dean
    Last edited by deanfp; 09-10-2009 at 09:33 AM.