Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Listing subcategories

flyingpenguin is offline Junior Member

Default Listing subcategories

Here is a rather dumb question...how can I list all the subcategories for a single category.

For instance...if I have a category A, that has subcategories 1 - 5, I would like to list them out like so.

A

I would also like each subcategory name to be a link that would take me to all the products in that subcategory.

Thanks,
    David

George the Great is offline Senior Member

Are you trying to develop a custom list, or modify an existing xmlpackage, or something else? What version of AspDotNetStorefront are you running? Do you have source code? There are a few different ways that you could go about doing this depending on where you want to make the list available, if it has to be dynamic, and how you want to implement...
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

I have the latest version 8.0.1.2 I think.

I have the source code.

I just want to get the output I want...if I need to create an xmlpackage, that is cool. Personally I am most comfortable in code, but whatever is easiest.

I figured there would be something easy like call a method that takes in the parameter of the category id and it gives me back a list of subcategories that I could then deal with...no idea how stuff works under the covers.

David

Jao is offline Senior Member

Well, the simple way of putting this is to automatically expand the left nav category list by commenting out the following lines on the rev.categories.xml.config under {root}/skins/Skin_#

Code:
    <xsl:if test="count(child::Entity)&gt;0 and (EntityID = $CategoryID or descendant::Entity/EntityID = $CategoryID) and count(child::Product)&gt;0"> and its ending delimiter </xsl:if>
    and then changing the Unicode character from the :
    Code:
    <span class="catMark">&gt;&gt;</span>*
    by changing the value of the highlighted item to whatever character you want, for example:
    Code:
    <span class="catMark">& # 6 7 8</span> (white spaces was used to avoid unicode translation)*
    Last edited by Jao; 08-06-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Great, so if I make the changes, how do I utilize the xml package on my home page template?

Jao is offline Senior Member

The template.ascx is already calling the rev.categories.xml.config; therefore, your home page is utilizing it, that is if you haven't changed the template.ascx file.

kaezr is offline Member

Running AspDotNetStorefront ML 8.0.1.4