Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Questin regarding Topics with "-" in the name appearing

Garf is offline Senior Member

Default Questin regarding Topics with "-" in the name appearing

I am trying to get 8.0.0.0 to work after a long upgrade procedure and I have a strange issue.

Topics that have a name made of 2 or more words are returning nothing at all. A total blank. No error, no title nothing. Just an empty template. I saw a thread on here a while ago and it seems to have disappeared.

Anyone have a reason or a fix for this?

Garf

newtothis is offline Senior Member

Hello,

I believe you cannot have spaces in the topic names as the topic names will be used as the basis for the URL of the actual topic. I had the problem previously. You will have to just simply rename your topic so that its all one word (no spaces in between all words)

The URLs are like t-Something-and-another-thing.aspx

They worked fine in 6 through 7 so why not 8?

It puts the hyphen in the actually URL address not the name. This all worked in ML6 through to 7.0.2.5 and now seems to have broken in 8.

Am I the only person experiencing this?

An example.

Topic Name: Customer Services
    URL Name: t-customer-services.aspx

And it returns nothing.

Call the topic: Customer_Services
    URL Name: t-Customer_Services.aspx

and it appears fine.

This would mean going through ALL the topics, finding all links,losing all the SEO etc etc and so is not a viable option.

textbox is offline Junior Member

Did a quick test in version 8 and found the following.

Entering topic name of test-page ends up being t-test-page.aspx and works.
    Entering topic name of test_page ends up being t-test_page.aspx and works.

Entering topic name of test page doesnt work in either 7 or 8.

I think I have made a mistake in terms of terminology

What I meant is that the Name of the is "What-ever" so the URL should be "t-what-ever.aspx"

The Title is "What Ever".

If I change the Name to "What_Ever" then it shows, however if left as "What-Ever" then the url resolves but their is no details returned and the template is returned.

This is simply isn't working when it has been in 6 and 7.
    Last edited by Garf; 08-04-2009 at 01:51 AM.

Right I have sorted what the problem is.

It now appears that Name is no longer a multi lingual variable.

Not sure why but changing the "-" to a "_" will then make it multi lingual.

Found the problem and fixed it now. There is a ("-", " ") replaced in the Topic.cs file for some reason and the driver.aspx isn't passing the Locale setting by default.
    Last edited by Garf; 08-04-2009 at 02:46 AM.

virtualtap is offline Senior Member

I updated to v9 from v8 and once I edit a topic that has hyphens in it, it will no longer work. I get 404 Resource can not be found.
    MSX

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

Hyphens are what we use to replace spaces or special characters in topic names when we build topic URLs, so they shouldn't be used in topic names or we'd have no way to differentiate the topic "About Us" from "About-Us" when we try to link to the page "t-about-us.aspx", for example. If you want customers to see "About-Us" when they browse to the page, then you should just use "About-Us" as the title while using "About Us" or "AboutUs" as the name.
    Last edited by ASPAlfred; 11-12-2010 at 07:52 PM.

virtualtap is offline Senior Member

Okay I still must be missing something. If I want http://www.mydomain.com/t-About-Us.aspx how do I get the hyphen between about and us in the URL? currently the url has to be http://www.mydomain.com/t-AboutUs.aspx or it will not work.

Thanks
    MSX