Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Fedex Shipping Manager

cksite is offline Senior Member

Default Fedex Shipping Manager

Version ML 8.0.1.2/8.0.1.2

The manual indicates it's possible to integrate Fedex Shipping Manager to our storefront. http://manual.aspdotnetstorefront.co...g-manager.aspx
    There is also the Appconfig "FedexShipManager.Enabled" to turn it on once installed.

However there doesn't appear to be a connectivity choice in the integration assistant that comes with FedEx Shipping Manager that allows connection to a Web server based database. ( it only identifies local ODBC data sources)

From the ASPDOTNETSTOREFRONT Manual:
    After the installation, the next step is mapping the FEDEX fields to ASPDNSF table fields

NOTE: For Version 7.1.0.0 and below, map the FEDEX fields to SM_FEDEX table, and SHIPPINGIMPORTEXPORT table for Version 7.1.1.0 to latest.

- Open the FEDEX Integration Assistant. It will guide you thru the rest of the integration process. For more help on mapping table fields please refer to FedEx ship manager user guide. http://fedex.com/us/solutions/software/

The fedex user guide does not have a section about connecting to a web database.
    Either I'm missing something, or this scenario only works if the WEB server we're using for the storefront, is on the same LAN as the machine we install FedEx shipping manager on.

We're hoping we've missing something! Has anyone successfully configured the storefront and FedEx Shipping Manager?

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

First, your host must allow inbound connection to the db for FSM to connect via the integration tool.

If you have that ability, then you can setup the ODBC connection using the IP of your host.

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

Correct. We support FedEx shipmanager connections via ODBC, not web services.

ssgumby have you actually configured that and are using it? The administrator didn't even mention that as a possibility!

Yes, my current cart (Not a ASPDNSF cart) is directly connected to Fedex ship manager via ODBC.

However, when I get ASPDNSF up and running im creating a local integration db. Using WSI I will import orders into that DB. FSM will read data from that DB and write tracking back to that DB. Then at a timed interval that db will be polled for new tracking numbers and using WSI it will write those back to ASPDNSF.

Most host do not allow outside connections to the DB for security purposes. My host has in the past but I want to get away from it as does he. Hence WSI will take care of that.

Thanks for that description. It makes sense to me now!

ssgumby, we have our db talking to Fedex ship manager fine now, but we haven't figured out how the update back to the DB is triggered after shipping from ship manager. The manual makes it seem like all you have to do is look at the order in aspdnsf and it happens magically.

You need to go back again to Orders Menu → View/Manage Orders and view the Order That Has Been Shipped so that the order will be Mark as Shipped and the order tracking information will be updated in the Orders table.

- The admin user will also be able to see the link in the Order management page and in Customer Account page for customers that will redirect to FedEx tracking web page.
    How are you making that happen?

cksite,

Fedex Ship Manager has an integration piece. Its the same thing you use to bring order into ship manager. That integration piece can write back out the tracking numbers when it runs end of day.

Your Fedex account rep should be able to put you in touch with an integration expert and that person should be able to have this up and running for you in less than an hour. Its really quite simple for them.

I should add, the fedex integration team is no cost to you .. at least not that im aware of.

ceriwholesale is offline Member

ssgumby is correct. I have my fedex tech support to come to my place and did the integration. As long as odbc is setup the software and extract and write back to the db with no issue. thanks.

edwin

jsimacek is offline Senior Member

Hello all-

we have the integration to FedEx Web Ship Manager (over web API) done as an add-on here: http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/p-3...torefront.aspx ;-)

Jan Simacek
    Jan Simacek - Compunix, LLC
    AspDotNetStorefront trusted Devnet Partner and Reseller since 2005

AspDotNetStorefront Mods and Add-Ons at http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/
    - Searching, Filtering and Sorting (like cSearch, Dealer Locator, Price Ranges, Blog)
    - Reports (like Cart Abandonment and Net Sales)
    - Customer Experience (like Question/Answers)
    - Site and Data Management (like Entity Product Mapper, Bulk Updaters, Make/Model/Year filters)