Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Different Skin For Product Page?

sspmurphy is offline Member

Default Different Skin For Product Page?

Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to use a different skin for a product page than the one that is being used for its parent category?

I basically want to remove my left-hand navigation from the product detail page and I'm thinking the best way is to use a different skin. I know that you can use template switching at the category level (which I am doing) but how can I have a different skin for product pages than category pages (if possible)?

FYI, I'm using an HTML navigation menu, not the tree.

Thanks!

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Create a new template to use for the product detail page (for purposes of this post lets call it productdetail.ascx). Create a new appconfig parameter called Templateshowproduct.aspx and give it a value of productdetail.ascx. Now, any time the showproduct.aspx page is viewed (any time a product is viewed it goes through this page), it will use the productdetail.ascx (or whatever name you've called your new template) to skin the page.

This is also described in the manual.

Note that with this method ALL products would use the same skin regardless of the parent category, but it will allow you to remove your left menu on that level.

sspmurphy is offline Member

Awesome! Thanks so much! For some reason I didn't see it in the manual. Oops.

donato is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott View Post
    Create a new template to use for the product detail page (for purposes of this post lets call it productdetail.ascx). Create a new appconfig parameter called Templateshowproduct.aspx and give it a value of productdetail.ascx. Now, any time the showproduct.aspx page is viewed (any time a product is viewed it goes through this page), it will use the productdetail.ascx (or whatever name you've called your new template) to skin the page.

This is also described in the manual.

Note that with this method ALL products would use the same skin regardless of the parent category, but it will allow you to remove your left menu on that level.
    Great little post! Totally asnwered what I wanted! However, when I searched for template.ascx, there already is something in the appconfig for a homepage template, called, "HomeTemplate." So, I used that to change my home page look and feel and kept the template.ascx for the inside pages if you will.

Thank you!

snowy is offline Senior Member

Smile

Hi,

I Must be missing something or I have been very stupid!!

I have followed the instruction but it doesen't work.

I have setup Templateshowproduct.aspx in the

appconfig and assign templatepage.ascx

Still when I click in the product the skin doesen't change. I use template switching for the categories already and they are working fine I do no understand what I am doing wrong.

Can some one help please

Regards
    Last edited by snowy; 08-07-2009 at 07:05 AM.

MelanieA is offline Junior Member

Make sure you have reset your IIS after making any changes. Your site needs to be restarted in order to have the changes applied immediately.

Hi Melanie,

I have just tried this , still doesen't change the template

Not sure what to do now

Thank you
    Last edited by snowy; 08-07-2009 at 08:48 AM.

MelanieA is offline Junior Member

Please note that with this method ALL products would use the same skin regardless of the parent category, but it will allow you to remove your left menu on that level. And make sure your template is properly set on your product page manager.

Smile

Hi,

Thank you for the help I do try to understand how this works.

At categorie level in the tab Extension data I have created a new template for that categorie and this works perfectly well.

I want to do the same at product level but the Extension data tab hasn't got the same field then the one in the categories.

Therefore I follow the instructions in the Manual and the forum but is not working for me.

Yes I want all the pages at product level to look the same without the left and side menu.

Am I going in the right direction ? not sure what to do now really

Regards
    Last edited by snowy; 08-08-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Smile

I have followed the manual and I have succesfully created a new template as expalined in the manual.

I have applied the same concept and the same file to the productpage but it doesen't work.

templatesitemap2.aspx --> templatePage.ascx ( working )

templateshowproduct.aspx --> templatePage.ascx (not working)

Are there other setting I have to change?

Thanks

Dusty is offline Member

There's shouldn't be much else you should need to change for your templates to work, in what way is the ShowProduct page not working?

Dusty
    ASPDotNetStorefront Staff

Smile

Hi,

I have setup four diffeent template per each categories in the shop.
    but I want to have a Common template without left menu for the Products page.

templateshowproduct.aspx --> templatePage.ascx

Once I select a product from the categorie page the product page doesen't change into templatePage.ascx but stays with the original categorie page I have created.

Thank you

Hi I have just tested the TemplateSwitching in the out of the box software and if I set a new template for the categories I cannot set another customized template for the Product linked to that categories.

Is this correct? is this what is supposed to do?

Thank you

Please does anyone have a view on this we really want to have this functionality working for the product page.

Does anyone have the same problem we have

Thanks

mbertulli is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    Hi I have just tested the TemplateSwitching in the out of the box software and if I set a new template for the categories I cannot set another customized template for the Product linked to that categories.

Is this correct? is this what is supposed to do?

Thank you
    "Cannot set another customized template for the product linked to that categories".

It sounds like you are trying to have a different product template depending on the category the product is in. This is not how templating works in aspdnsf.

You can only set 1 template for all products (showproduct) and 1 template for all categories.
    Matthew Bertulli
    Demac Media
    mbertulli@demacmedia.com
    Custom Web Design & E-Commerce Development
    AspDotNetStoreFront Platinum DevNet Partner
    ----

Custom Skinning & Design
    Web Services Integration
    Custom Reporting
    Salesforce.com eCommerce AspDotNetStoreFront Integration

Smile

Thank you for coming back to me

I actually set a different template for each department e.g. men, women, children, and this works fine.

Then for the same reason I set the same template to men, women and children (we don't want the user to see the default template). This also works well.

The next stage is to assign a single template for all products - either men, women or children as shown in the manual. templateshowproduct.aspx --> templatePage.ascx

The reason for this is we don't want the left-hand side menu to show up, or any other links related to the product or department. This is where it's not working.

Any further ideas?

Thank you

HI it's me again !!

I have noticed if I reset the browser cache after selecting the product and then refresh the browser will display the template I have choosen to use
    templateshowproduct.aspx --> templatePage.ascx

Any ideas how I can use this template?

Thank you

Smile

Hi I was reading this thread and I wonder if it would solve my problem but first I would like an opinion.
    I have managed to assign a template to all pages I wanted to apart for t-contact.aspx and showproduct.aspx. and I cannot work out why!

http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.co...ad.php?t=18684

Thank you
    Last edited by snowy; 08-22-2009 at 07:19 AM.

Smile

I start to begin thinking I'm the only person in this forum with that problem.
    And there is not solution I would like to submit a ticket but is not supported.
    What shall I do??

Thanks

rochellefp is offline Junior Member

Post opposite problem

snowy, i'm having the opposite problem.

i want the product detail page to use the template of the category it belongs to. right now, i have four categories that use different templates. this works well but once you click on a product and go to the detail page, the page uses the standard template i have set up for the non-product related pages...and not the template of the category it belongs to.

if anyone know how to fix this one, please let me know.
    Thanks,

Rochelle Pennington

Smile

Hi Rochelle,

I just can tell you how I have setup mine,

Departments and Categories share the same template trough the admin setting I haven't done anything different.

Cheers

ami is offline Junior Member

Default Snowy How did you do it?

Snowy, I have the same question as Rochele. How did you do it?

aronatic is offline Junior Member

Default how to reset iis ? reset cache ?

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieA View Post
    Make sure you have reset your IIS after making any changes. Your site needs to be restarted in order to have the changes applied immediately.
    how to reset iis ? reset cache ?

Mike The Last Boyscout is offline User

From either Start->Run or the Command Prompt, you can type IISRESET and it will restart the instance of IIS for you.

BrettB is offline Junior Member

Default Friendly URL template switching ShowProduct.aspx

I believe Snowy's problem may have been related to friendly urls. I am having a similar problem on 9.0.1.3 and stepping through the GetTemplateName method in SkinBase.cs I see that it's pulling the SEO friendly name and not showproduct.aspx.

Has anyone found a solution to making this work?

I'm trying to not modify ASPDNSF core code so we may more easily upgrade in the future.

I am now upgrading to 9.0.1.3 and the product page doesen't update with template switching . on version 8.0.1.2 some one give me the solution and it worked fine I don't remember who!

By commenting off the code below from the product page

override protected void OnPreInit(EventArgs e)
    {

}

And adding

override protected void OnPreInit(EventArgs e)
    {

SetTemplate("templateany.ascx");
    base.OnPreInit(e);

}

all this worked absolutly fine

Can someone help on this please

GoodFella is offline Member

I am having the same ... seemingly very straight forward problem of Loosing control of the product template when changing the category template. Any resolution on this?