Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Setting admin rights

Manley is offline Senior Member

Default Setting admin rights

Is there a way to setup and admin account which will only allow the admin to view orders? I have a few people who will be viewing orders as they come in but I don't want them to have any right above that. They have no need to make changes to anything so I would rather limit them as a just in case.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Thank you

Jao is offline Senior Member

Default re

I Followed the directions that the link gave and change the file to newmenuData.xml after doing everything the link instructed this is the code I want the user to be allowed to use
    HTML Code:
    <SiteMap>
    	<!-- Home -->
    	<item Text="(!admin.menu.Home!)" NavigateUrl="splash.aspx" LookId="TopItemLook"/>
    	<!-- Orders Menu -->
    	<item Text="(!admin.menu.Orders!)" NavigateUrl="orders.aspx"  LookId="TopItemLook">
    		<item Text="(!admin.menu.OrderManage!)" NavigateUrl="orders.aspx" />
    		<item Text="(!admin.menu.PhoneOrder!)" NavigateUrl="phoneorder.aspx" />
    		<item Text="(!admin.menu.OrderRecurring!)" Look-RightIconUrl="arrow.gif" Look-RightIconWidth="15">
    			<item Text="(!admin.menu.OrderRecurringToday!)" NavigateUrl="recurring.aspx" />
    			<item Text="(!admin.menu.OrderRecurringPending!)" NavigateUrl="recurring.aspx?show=all" />
    			<item Text="(!admin.menu.OrderRecurringImport!)" NavigateUrl="recurringimport.aspx" />
    		</item>
    		<
    		<!-- Help Menu -->
    		<item Text="(!admin.menu.Help!)" LookID="TopItemLook">
    		<item Text="(!admin.menu.OnlineManual!)" NavigateUrl="http://manual.aspdotnetstorefront.com/" Target="_blank"/>
    		<item Text="(!admin.menu.About!)" NavigateUrl="about.aspx?debuglicense=true" />
    	</item>
    </SiteMap>
    I saved the document and tried to log in and got the below error. Can someone please tell me what i did wrong?

Thanks

Server Error in '/Storefront' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name cannot begin with the '' character, hexadecimal value 0x0D. Line 13, position 4.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Xml.XmlException: Name cannot begin with the '' character, hexadecimal value 0x0D. Line 13, position 4.

Source Error:

Line 121: String MenuConfigFileString = CommonLogic.ReadFile(CommonLogic.SafeMapPath("skin s/skin_" + Page.SkinID.ToString() + "/" + MN), false);
    Line 122:
    Line 123: doc.LoadXml(MenuConfigFileString);
    Line 124:
    Line 125: HierarchicalTableMgr tblMgr;

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\AspDotNetStoreFront\Web\App_Cod e\TemplateBase.cs Line: 123

Stack Trace:

[XmlException: Name cannot begin with the '
    ' character, hexadecimal value 0x0D. Line 13, position 4.]
    System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) +76
    System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args) +88
    System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Int32 pos, String res, String[] args) +18
    System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseQName(Boolean isQName, Int32 startOffset, Int32& colonPos) +3932469
    System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement() +459
    System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent() +121
    System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() +45
    System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace) +58
    System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc) +20
    System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace) +129
    System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader) +108
    System.Xml.XmlDocument.LoadXml(String xml) +113
    AspDotNetStorefront.TemplateBase.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\AspDotNetStoreFront\Web\App_Cod e\TemplateBase.cs:123
    System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

The error clearly states an invalid character being thrown. Please check that the string resource value only contains character that is hard to be interpreted by unicode used: (UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1) It would be rather safe to use alphabet.

Default re

Thank you for the help I figure out what I was doing wrong. I have one more question how can I hide the common links in the admin site. The common links end up giving them the same access as if I wouldn't have made any changes.

Thanks

Could you specify those common links so that I could provide you with the appropriate procedure?

Default Re

On the admin site there is a section that says common links it is on the left hand side just under home. attached is a screen shot of what i am talking about

thanks for your help
    Last edited by Manley; 06-23-2009 at 02:52 PM.

George the Great is offline Senior Member

The only thing you can do here is modify the admin/splash.aspx.cs page to not show that panel to certain users. For example, you can make this only available to super admins by adding the following code in the Page_Load method in splash.aspx.cs
    Code:
    if (!ThisCustomer.IsAdminSuperUser)
    {
        pnlCommonLinks.Visible = false;
    }
    If you wanted to create a customer level that you'll apply to all of your admin users that can see the panel of common links, you could do something like
    Code:
    if (ThisCustomer.CustomerLevelID == #)
    {
    }
    where # is the ID of the customer level you've created for your admin users.
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

vkundu is offline Junior Member

Default left bar navigation on admin site

We have a similar requirment where the admin site left hand side bar( Common Links, System Information, Security Alert) be only available to SUPERADMIN and other admin should not be able to see these links.

As shown above we tried modifying the admin/splash.aspx.cs page to not show that panel to certain users. But it is still available to all users. If there something else we need to look at.

We are in development phase.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Code:
    {
    }
    Attached Files Attached Files

mikemike1 is offline Junior Member

Is there a way to meet the same requirement in version 9, now that the admin menudata.xml file doesn't exist?

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

Mike, that can be done in v9, yes. See restricting admin users on certain menus in the admin (v9).doc file.

mikemike1 is offline Junior Member

Thanks! Very helpful. Now, I have the same challenge as vkundu, where the 'common links' menu still allows these admin users to access those features. How can those be removed?

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

Mike, those can be remove in {root}/admin/default.aspx file. From there, you can see a panel like, <asp:Panel ID="pnlCommonLinks" runat="server">, comment out those lines.

texasgirl is offline Junior Member

Default commenting out menu items is not working

I get an error when following the doc for removing the menu bar. I followed the directions and when logged in as an "admin" The main navigation bar only displays this error:

admin.menu.loaderror

Can you assist please?

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

That's a generic 'something didn't work right with the menu' message. You'll need to go to Configuration->Maintenance->View System Log in the admin console and get the full error details. If you can't figure out what's going wrong from that, post the full error here and we'll take a look.

mlogan is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Alfred View Post
    Mike, that can be done in v9, yes. See restricting admin users on certain menus in the admin (v9).doc file.
    That did exactly what I wanted and it worked the first time, great instructions. Thanks to whoever wrote that.

donato is offline Senior Member

Does anyone know if this can be done in an earlier version, such as 8? How would I find the version anyway?

Nevermind... super easy. I figured it out. Just copy menuData.xml and call is menuData2.xml. Then open up TemplateBase.cs and go to the Page_Load event and add this in there:

if (Page.ThisCustomer.Notes == "no-menu")
    {
    MN = "menuData2.xml";
    }

Sorry... you want to put in the if clause where it is checking to see if you are in the AdminSite:

if (AppLogic.IsAdminSite)
    {
    if (Page.ThisCustomer.Notes.Trim().Length != 0 && Page.ThisCustomer.Notes.IndexOf(".xml", StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase) != -1)
    {
    MN = Page.ThisCustomer.Notes.Trim();
    }
    }

And change it to:

if (AppLogic.IsAdminSite)
    {
    if (Page.ThisCustomer.Notes.Trim().Length != 0 && Page.ThisCustomer.Notes.IndexOf(".xml", StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase) != -1)
    {
    MN = Page.ThisCustomer.Notes.Trim();
    }

if (Page.ThisCustomer.Notes == "no-menu")
    {
    MN = "menuData2.xml";
    }
    }

Upscale_Automotive is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by George the Great View Post
    The only thing you can do here is modify the admin/splash.aspx.cs page to not show that panel to certain users. For example, you can make this only available to super admins by adding the following code in the Page_Load method in splash.aspx.cs
    Code:
    {
    }
    If you wanted to create a customer level that you'll apply to all of your admin users that can see the panel of common links, you could do something like
    Code:
    if (ThisCustomer.CustomerLevelID == #)
    {
    }
    where # is the ID of the customer level you've created for your admin users.

Piggy-backing off this solution, you can do the following to simply redirect to a completely different landing page.
    Code:
    			{
    			  Response.Redirect("newlandingpage.aspx");
    				  base.OnLoad(e);
    			}